8 Sat connections

do zgemma boxes support unicable?

Yes they do.

also which is the best type of cable for sat? or are they all the same?

No, the cables are different. Best to get a CT100, PF100 or similar. Avoid the low loss cables.

Your TV specs do not seem to say either way. Best to e-mail the manufacturer and ask. If it doesn't , you can use a quattro LNB (four wires from LNB). You can then use one switch for Universal and another for Unicable if needed. You can also use Enigam2 receivers to use the tuners off another receiver. They will need to be on the same network.

Isn't Freeview (using an aerial) a viable option? Check with neighbour about reception and then compare the channels you can get.

thanks for the replies.
got the doncaster satellite cable which i will be using.

just before i lay the cables i just wanted to make sure on the setup i am going for.

quattro LNB which will have 4 wires going from the lnb to the switich. From the switch i will feed the tv's required.
the switch i was thiking of using will be something like EV5-512 12 Output Line Power Multiswitch - 118530

will this work? or would i have to consider any other factors for this?

thanks

That switch will work. Any multi-switch will work provided it has the number of outputs you require. You can get cheaper. E.g items 175272025571, 404081158396 on ebay.

I would urge you to draw a diagram of your final intended layout before you finalise your plans and start laying cables. Some of your responses leave ambiguity.

hi, please see attached of what i am looking to do. sat connection in each room via a quad lmb and a multiswitch.
let me know your thoughts please

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 14
Most switches can only use Quattro LNBs. Quad and Quattro LNBs are different even though they have four connections. If you want to use a quad LNB, please ensure you buy a switch that supports it. Waste of money in my opinion, but means you don't have to do anything at dish end.

I would also connect an aerial to the system. But that can be done at any stage later, it is only a cable to multi-switch from the aerial/splitter.
I would also run two cables to the main/important rooms for redundancy even if you do not use them. The work involved in pulling cables is more or less the same.
I presume you are running ethernet cables too.

Most switches can only use Quattro LNBs. Quad and Quattro LNBs are different even though they have four connections. If you want to use a quad LNB, please ensure you buy a switch that supports it. Waste of money in my opinion, but means you don't have to do anything at dish end.

I would also connect an aerial to the system. But that can be done at any stage later, it is only a cable to multi-switch from the aerial/splitter.
I would also run two cables to the main/important rooms for redundancy even if you do not use them. The work involved in pulling cables is more or less the same.
I presume you are running ethernet cables too.

"I would also connect an aerial to the system. But that can be done at any stage later, it is only a cable to multi-switch from the aerial/splitter."
So does that mean you use one or the other?

"I would also run two cables to the main/important rooms for redundancy even if you do not use them. The work involved in pulling cables is more or less the same."
What would this give me?

"I presume you are running ethernet cables too."
Yes that is correct.

If you add an aerial to your mix, you can watch both satellite and Terrestrial. The signal is sent down one cable, the faceplate has connections for both.

Reason I suggested running extra cable to main rooms so that they have two wires, is because maybe in future you want to add a device which needs more than one connection. For example, Sky will need two wires. You can impress the other half with your forward planning and avoid drilling holes/running cables and having to decorate again. Please disregard if you have already done this, your diagram shows 8 rooms.

Just as an add on,
Modern equipment is clever enough to block out the signals it doesn't need, you don't need to use expensive duplex or triplex outlet plates.
I have a multiswitch and have simple F connector plates.

Back