A few beginner questions - Edision OS Mini Sat

devnull10

Hi,
I've just set up my Edision OS Mini sat box and am testing a line at the moment. Had it up an hour or so and all looking ok so far but I have a few questions though on usability if anyone can help? I'm using Openvix with the Blue skin. I know there's a lot below but I've just dumped out everything I've not been able to fathom! If anyone can help with any bits at all then I'd massively appreciate it :)

1) Is there a way to hide non-FTA HD channels in the EPG browser given they don't work? If so, what's the easiest/quickest way to do this?

2) I've set up Cross-EPG and some info has come down. However a lot of channels are showing no info on them until I actually select them Then if I go back into the EPG it's populated the info for them. Any ideas? Can I trigger a refresh?

3) Is there a way to just view ALL channels, rather than having to go into "Movies" etc? I quite often just like to skip through all channels when looking for something to watch, but it looks like I'll have to go into each category separately?

4) A lot of the movie channels default to the narrated audio - I switched this off on them but is there a global setting to stop this?

5) I set up an auto-timer as a test on a soap - it came back after a bit and said "I've found 4 things to record" - however the soap is of course on many days - will it just pick them up day by day?

6) In the EPG settings "Automatic Refresh" was set to "No" - is this right? Does Cross EPG supersede this setting?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
1) there is a way to hide non-FTA HD channels if you go to your Autobouquetsmaker under Sly area: find *your area* "custom" not *your area "SD" or *your area* "HD" it has to be custom.

2) what version of cross epg do you have installed? I have always experienced problems with 0.81 i think it is, look for "crossepg_0.6.2_OE2-r2_all" and have your epg storage set up to your USB/HDD whatever you are using and not Internal storage as that can slow your box down.

3) exit out of all menus press the up or down button then the red button that will show all channels without them being categorized

4) have a look here http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/83276-channel-voiceover-blind-person-how-turn-off.html

5) yes it will pick them up as days go by as your epg will be auto updated and i guess it will be picked up then.

6) Auto Refresh hasn't affected me because I have crossepg scheduled to download and my epg isn't empty so i dont think that needs to be on "yes"

7) when your in that menu click menu > settings> Font size:0 & No. of Rows: 8

8) to stop recording a channel, just navigate to the channel you want to stop recording, press the record button then select "Stop recording" as you will notice there is "Stop and delete recording" "stop Recording" will just save what it has recorded

Hope this helps in some way :)

Thanks, that's sorted a lot of my issues out! :)

The main problem I'm still having though is the EPG - it's very incomplete. Some channels missing info completely, others have just the next hour and then nothing. None look out past the next couple of hours. I'm using an external HDD to store it on, and also have a very fast cable internet connection so it should have all come down. I don't know what the version is sorry - the latest I believe!?

The "View All" is useful - is there a way to get that view in the EPG viewer, so I can view what's on now, next, later on etc for all channels?

Cheers

Menu > Setup > System > EPG > Settings > EPG Location: /media/hdd Auto Save yes
try run it again if that doesn't work I have a different EPG file which i can send to you and talk you through installing it

in regards to the EPG menu I think the only way to view all channels quickly is:

click EPG > click Menu *brings up menu > Settings > show bouquet on launch: yes > save
click EPG again then there should be a category called all channels?
*tip* when you want to scroll fast in the epg, say for instance just down a row instead of one channel at a time , when you are on the epg from the up or down change channel buttons to scroll fast

Thanks both, slowly finding my way around everything. My main problem at the moment is the EPG - still missing some chunks of it. :( Just doing the automatic scan at the moment to see if that sorts it out. The other issue I had was I went out for a walk with the dog, came back and the box had frozen up - channel still playing but I couldn't press any remote buttons and the time had stuck on the front. Hoping that was just a blip.

On the EPG, you mentioned above that you could jump a page at a time using channel down? On mine channel down skips through the days, not down the pages? Is that a setting somewhere?

Thanks

Do you possibly have a link for that change? I presume it's a key map file?

I disabled and reenabled the cross epg plugin and that seems to be working fine now. Hopefully that'll continue! :)

Thanks again all, I'm really happy with the box, just fine tuning it to my preferences now. :)

what version of vix are you on?
Im on the latest and its the channel up and channel down buttons that jump pages
8 & 2 don't do anything when i'm on epg...

8&2 work for me, i seem to remember installing something to change to the up and down buttons but the box kept rebooting so uninstalled it.

It's a modified epgselection.py that changes the next page mode from 2&8 to Ch+/-
Kiddac has it in his dropbox on Slyk Yolasite.

Back