A few questions before purchase.

Hi there,

I am a total noob at this type of thing so I'll start by apologising if some of these questions seem stupid.

My parents are paying a fortune for their current sky package and just realised that the price is either going up or has already gone up recently.

I was thinking of purchasing a zgemma h.2s box for them to be able to watch the same channels at a lower price. At least I think that is the right box that I need to replace their sky+ setup, however I have a few questions that I hope to get answered before I spend the money.

1. Is zgemma's uk site the best place to buy these? The reason I ask is because I notice that it says on their website something along the lines of their products are FTA only, so I'm scared of buying in case I cannot edit the line/gift. I also see some listed on auction sites for over £100 that include 12 months gift, is this dodgy where the gifts will stop working & the seller disappear off the face of the earth after 2 weeks?

2. I have an understanding of FTP so I should be able to do the line no problem, however should I avoid auction sites when purchasing my lines/gifts in case they do not last the full 12 months as stated?

3. If they were to record on a zgemma h.2s box do I need to buy a USB pen, external HDD or a microSD card? Will all of these work? Is one option better than the other?

4. Is there anything else that I should consider before purchasing?

Many thanks for reading & for any advice that you can give me.

Buy a zgemma h2s from the forum sponsor on here.
FTA is mentioned as illegal to advertise cardsharing attributes so it's for self protection.
Suggest installing the Wooshbuild as everything is already sorted and looks as close to sly box as you can get.
A good 64gb kingston data traveller usb will give you plenty of recording space providing old items are deleted from time to time.
Request a line via this forum and only listen to VIPS/VETS for this as more reliable generally.
Do not buy via the bay unless you want to possibly throw money away.

Welcome,

1. FTA is just because they can't legally say anything about adding lines/gifts.

2. Best to post here http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...ommend-good-server-satellite-august-only.html for a line and avoid Ebay for the reasons you mentioned.

3. All 3 should work just depends on what you wish to spend and how much space you want for recordings. Just make sure its a good quality usb or MicroSD

4. If you are unsure of your ability to setup a box from scratch, take a look at the Wooshbuild & Sucmnsee builds in the threads at the top of this forum

Guys, thank you so much for your replies, it is very much appreciated but I have another couple of questions if you can help me.

Do you need to have the Ethernet plugged in constantly or is it only to download the TV guide at set time?

Is it possible to get a wireless adapter for zgemma boxes? At the moment my parents have got a little wireless adapter for their sky box which saves a Ethernet cable from running around their living room. This isn't a big issue but would be convient.

How much approximately do 12 month lists costs on here from respectable vendors, obviously if you want quality you pay extra but just curious as on eBay they cost around £15. Just so I have a rough idea in my head.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Last edited:
As far as Im aware you do need a constant connection if you are using a Line provider (for your Pay channels) It doesnt use much data wise, and doesn't need to be fast.
I believe you can use a wifi adapter, but people do advise the ethernet route for optimum performance.
(I use homeplugs to get my ethernet connection to box)
A 12 month line from a good supplier is around £25-30 give or take.
I'd avoid the bay if at all possible, and as benijofar says, try and get one from a VIP or VET.

Guys, thank you so much for your replies, it is very much appreciated but I have another couple of questions if you can help me.

Do you need to have the Ethernet plugged in constantly or is it only to download the TV guide at set time?

Is it possible to get a wireless adapter for zgemma boxes? At the moment my parents have got a little wireless adapter for their sky box which saves a Ethernet cable from running around their living room. This isn't a big issue but would be convient.

How much approximately do 12 month lists costs on here from respectable vendors, obviously if you want quality you pay extra but just curious as on eBay they cost around £15. Just so I have a rough idea in my head.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Dont know about a wireless adapter, but you could get a powerline adapter instead of running a ethernet line around??

Thanks once again for all the help guys.

I never even thought of getting a powerline adapter, I think this would be ideal actually. I was only asking about the wireless adapter hoping that the current one with the sky box would of been suffice, but like I just said, I think the power line adapter is the way to go.

The box has been ordered from the forum sponsor this evening & will be posting for a line from here shortly.

I will be keeping all the tips in mind also regards whoosh, it looks good & also simple. Hopefully I shouldn't run into any issues but if I do, I know exactly where to come for help.

Thank you all once again

I'm the same as you m8 just ordered my h.2s from the sponsors and waiting arrival and then the questions will start.
complete newb as far as this scene goes ok with the pc (kodi box firestick) but hopefully this be straight forward??
good luck butty

If you follow one of the guides on here you can't go far wrong and if you get stuck were always here to help out

Another quick question before I try & set a test line up for my parents later.

If I set up the USB stick in the back for recording when im testing the line today is it easily enough to initialise a new larger USB device later down the line or is that a hassle?

Another quick question before I try & set a test line up for my parents later.

If I set up the USB stick in the back for recording when im testing the line today is it easily enough to initialise a new larger USB device later down the line or is that a hassle?

The simple answer is yes, just follow the procedure for installing a new usb device, like you done first time around

Thanks Gary.

I just wanted to ask to make sure I have all bases covered before I start today, I don't want to mess anything up lol.

I installed wooshbuild very easily syno & I copied & pasted the line wrong first time but after I tried it for the second time it worked like a charm. Even for a novice this was very easy.

I am just home from my parents place so spent over 4 hours watching tv without any freezing or glitching. They are over the moon so far. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

The box seemed to get quite hot though, I guess this is normal?

If you run into any issues syno, you are in the right place for help.

Thanks once again for all the help guys.

I never even thought of getting a powerline adapter, I think this would be ideal actually. I was only asking about the wireless adapter hoping that the current one with the sky box would of been suffice, but like I just said, I think the power line adapter is the way to go.

The box has been ordered from the forum sponsor this evening & will be posting for a line from here shortly.

I will be keeping all the tips in mind also regards whoosh, it looks good & also simple. Hopefully I shouldn't run into any issues but if I do, I know exactly where to come for help.

Thank you all once again

If the wireless adapter you was using was from sky then you can use it as long as its been connected to a sky box and setup on your wifi, i use my old sky one in my openbox upstairs and it works perfectly

Back