About to purchase a LG OLED55C8PLA

I'm just about to purchase the above TV and already have a paid subscription for an iptv service but can I connect this TV direct to my iptv supplier without the need of the Mag box?

I'm just about to purchase the above TV and already have a paid subscription for an iptv service but can I connect this TV direct to my iptv supplier without the need of the Mag box?
Presuming you've used say stb emu If it has smart stb emu on it taking it you have a mac sub you could just get your provider to change the mac address on the panel to the new one and just get him to reset isp lock aswell

As baz said, you can use STB EMU.
However if you can get the M3U from your provider you can use SmartIPTV

That's assuming the new LGs have IPTV apps !

Hes said he had a subscription from his supplier would he need a mag box so mac based subscription so m3u for smart iptv would be no good

That's assuming the new LGs have IPTV apps !
This is the point that anyone buying a Smart TV wanting to watch IPTV on it should be considering. Smart TVs are not Android TVs. You can't side load apps on to them. Due to copyright complaints, TV manufacturers have been removing IPTV apps from their app stores and they'll disappear from your TV when it next updates. So, you'll likely need a Firestick, Android box or other peripheral device to access your sub.

All the new LG's run WebOS which is an Android based GUI OS and has a software repository called LG Content Store which is similar to Play Store or App Store. You can search for and then download apps and there are quite a few IPTV apps available. Smart IPTV and Smart STB are there but they aren't free although there is something like a months trial period. Smart IPTV was something like a fiver and Smart STB was 20 quid for lifetime licences IIRC.

Just give your provider the MAC address shown in the app or input your details and m3u line into the apps config and you're good to go.

I use my LG daily for IPTV and use Smart IPTV which has worked pretty flawlessly to be fair. I like that you don't need a set top box. The app writers also bring out updates for their apps and WebOS lets you know when updates are available so you can keep your apps up to date.

I really like that iPlayer, Youtube, 4OD, Netflix and IPTV are all there on the same platform. LG TVs are great imo :)

Systemlord above has a point of course - although some of what I've read on this suggests its either fake news or a side effect from updating firmware which could well remove all your downloaded apps (and if so you'd have to re-download them).

My TV is a 2019 model running the latest firmware release (which I keep up to date manually) and all the IPTV apps are still there. Plus all the IPTV apps are currently still on LG's Content Store at https://us.lgappstv.com/appspc/main/main/main.lge

Not saying they won't ever remove these apps in the future, of course they might in which case we'll have to buy a MXQ Pro or something similar :)

Last edited:
Got a Philips android tv. I wouldn't go back to a smart TV nowadays, runs everything I chuck at it, sideloaded no end of apks from phone etc

Back