Absolute beginner looking for help with slyk skin and lines

TTmich

Ok here goes.....

I'm a complete newbie, am not that techy and don't understand a lot of the terminology but have read some threads on here and you guys seem very friendly and helpful so hoping you can help me out.....

I bought a Zgemma star 2s which came pre-installed with all channels and the wonderful Slyk skin. However....... I accidentally clicked on software upgrade and it made my box stick on boot and no matter how many times I turned it off and on, boot stayed on my box.

I googled how to resolve this and found out I needed to flash my box, I read how to do that and had a go.......I didn't read the thread though that said I needed to back up my lines beforehand and yep.....I think I've lost them.

I say I think I've lost them as I'm currently reading my sticky thread bible on here day and night from Kiddac which is brilliant but I've got to the bits where it talks about backing up (which I didn't do) and it says which folders the lines should be in. I've looked in them and the keys folder says it's empty, it's even empty in the etc file. I've looked in all the other files (which all look gobbledegook to me) and I don't see anything I don't think they're in there either.

....my question and help is - How do I get new lines and how do I know which line I'll need? I keep reading about nlines and clines and mgm..something or other but don't know which one I'll need or how to get it. After I've got the lines, what do I do?

Also, following the advice on downloading the slyk skin again and softcams ipk, I've followed the instructions, went into memory/tmp file, the slyk skin was there, pressed green to install and it quickly said "done, downloaded with no files and no errors, when I rebooted, couldn't find the skin anywhere, went back into memory/tmp file to see if it was still there so I could try again and it had gone?

I also tried the above with the softcams ipk file I'd need to have for my lines but again, got the same messages. Am I doing this all backwards? Have I messed everything up?

I'm on the verge of chucking it out and buying another one but don't like things beating me and want to prove to myself that I can do this.

Please, please, please advise. Sorry for being a pain.

:bye:

Weclome TTmich, reading your post you sound totally capable of doing everything you need to get your box back up & running & your doing the right thing by reading through the forum stickies!

before you continue & flash your box it is worth looking to see IF your line/'s are still stored, 2 locations to check & two files to look for:-

using ftp such as filezilla look in user/keys for a file named "newcmd.list" right click to open/edit (if your line is there it will start CWS: or N: followed by other details, if nothing try 2nd location)
2nd location is the etc folder only this time the file is named "CCcam.cfg" right click to open/edit (if you line is here it will start C: or N: followed by other details)

IF you have no CWS: N: or C: in either of those two places then your line has been lost, you could contact your seller & ask for a copy of your line/gift & IF decent they shouldnt have a problem sending you a copy, IF no joy you can obtain what you need from our request post that you should have seen in the general stickies section.

Moving on to flashing...easiest way is to use a backup from this site, you probably wont need to install kiddacs skin as its is so popular it has been incorporated into most people backups, by far the easiest way to flash for someone new is to use "wooshbuild"

Msg you seller for copy of line...get a small USB stick (2gb/4gb is perfect for flashing) low level format it with hddguru (free program) & then a full fat32 format with Windows then your ready to follow the guide, if you get stuck there are plenty of posts that follow the issues members have had flashing so look there for help 1st then post if your stumped.

If you flashed without backing up your line then it will have been deleted. Did you contact your provider as they should have no issue in sending you a copy of it.
If using VIX - once you have installed via tmp and green button then to load a skin you go to Menu-VIX and look for skins in there (from what I can remember).

To save you a load of hassle I would use either Sucmnsee (VIX image) or Wooshman (ATV image) to set up everything is done for you, skins, cams etc. All you need to do then is set to your region and load your line.

If you can't get a copy of your line from provider then post a request here - http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...ecommend-good-server-satellite-june-only.html

---------- Post Merged at 09:21 AM ----------

Was in the middle of typing so didn't realise Beakyford had already posted advice lol

... there is a TK Veteran on here called Tich. You have a very similar name and are using the exact same avatar. It might be best to change your avatar picture to stop confusion...and to stop him killing you ;)

Last edited:
Changed my avatar now - thanks for the heads up :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:49 AM ----------

Thanks - I was reading Kiddacs slyk skin how to download so missed these messages but have managed to get the skin on now, just need to keep reading all the threads on here(there's lots to read!)

I definitely don't have any files in any of those places so think I'll need to get new lines. The seller isn't responding to me so maybe wasn't a decent seller. How do I know which line to request?

Thanks for helping

---------- Post Merged at 10:52 AM ----------

Definitely lost my line I think - Provider isn't responding to my messages so think they've fell off the planet! I'm on OpenATV, managed to get the skin now by reading through kiddacs how to guide. There's so many threads on here, I'm getting bamboozled by them all.

If you were to put an image together from scratch you have a lot of learning ahead of you installing cams, adding skins, setting up sat configs & so on but IF you use a backup image from this site then all this is done for you (its good to know how to do these things as it helps when trouble shooting).
I would suggest starting over & using wooshbuild to get you up & running then request a line/gift from here:
http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...ecommend-good-server-satellite-june-only.html (have a quick read of the rules before requesting)

give your seller time to respond most people have lives & may not be as quick as you would like

Once your box is up & running you can read to your hearts content until you feel ready to play around, make your own image, change from atv to vix etc etc (just be sure to keep a copy of your line at all times)

Last edited:
Back