Windows 8 Add scan to context menu for Windows Defender in Windows 8

HiTecK

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 8 is missing the old scan function in the contextual menu for Windows defender which allows users to scan individual folders / files so here is a tutorial I wrote on how to add it yourself.

Add Scan With Windows Defender Option To Context Menu

Windows-Defender-Folder-3.jpg

[SUP][SUB]See the option there?.
[/SUB][/SUP]​
Here is the manual way on how to add the option.

Manual Method

• Press and hold the Window Key + R then type Regedt32.exe in the Run box and enter this will then open the Registry Editor.
  • Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell
  • Create a sub key in the left pane and name it WindowsDefender.
Windows-Defender-Folder-2-1.jpg

• In the Sub Key we made "WindowsDefender" that we made highlight it and create two DWORDS and use the following data for them.
Icon – %ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\EppManifest.dll

This adds the Windows Defender Icon.

MUI – Scan With Windows Defender

You can use any text here, that you want to show in context menu.

• Now we have to assign a command. So create the sub-key Command under the key WindowsDefender.

Windows-Defender-Folder-1-1.jpg

• In the right pane of above created sub key, modify default DWORD value with following command

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe” -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file %1

• You should now have the option in the contextual menu so to test pick any folder on your PC and right click it and select Windows Defender to scan it. A command prompt window should load then any any infection will show in there.

[SUP]If you use this guide do not remove any watermarks.[/SUP]

The only concern I have with doing this is,

Microsoft's software engineers are pretty good at what they do as far as programming goes?

Even though they can appear to make ridiculous decisions from time to time, I wonder why it was decided to leave this feature out? I'd imagine that this Prog it tailored off the back of MSE and that they would have used that template as a starting point for the revamped Windows Defender? If that is indeed the case they would have intentionally had to remove that feature rather than fail to include it? So my main concern is why?

I'm not sure I like the fact that this fix opens the command prompt instead of the usual scan window..... Do Microsoft know something we don't yet?

Back