Adding (mounting) a large USB HDD

aphuk

Whilst setting up my brand new zGemma I followed instructions from this forum to 'initialise' an 8Gb USB stick which I put in the rear port. My thinking was that I would then be able to record anything I was watching through the zGemma on to the 8Gb USB stick but whenever I try and record I get "Write error while recording. Disk Full ?". Now I know that the 8Gb USB stick is empty because I formatted it to FAT32 before plugging it in to the zGemma (and then initialising it) so intention now is to remove the 8Gb USB stick and replace it with a larger USB HDD.

I have prepared this USB HDD (formatted it to FAT32) and am ready to connect it to the zGemma which has raised the following questions

1. The zGemma has 3 media interface "Ports"
a) Rear USB
b) Front USB
c) Side Micro SD
What function does each one serve and is there I need to use them all ?

2. Which 'Port' do I use for my USB HDD ?

3. Will I need to 'initialise' my USB HDD via the zGemma remote control (Using the system setup menu) ?

4. Once the USB HDD is mounted will all the folders/files that may be created (during initialising and recording) be readable from Windows XP ?
Thinking here is that I may take the USB HDD and plug it into my laptop to use a media editor so am hoping the recordings the zGemma creates are in MP4 or something similar

5. If I create a folder on my USB HDD (using my XP laptop) and then add any MP4's ( I already have ) can I then re-connect my USB HDD to the zGemma and 'Play' those MP4's ?

usb HDD goes in the back usb port

3. Will I need to 'initialise' my USB HDD via the zGemma remote control (Using the system setup menu) ? yes m8

Back