Adding TRVs

Drbox

TK Veteran
Hi,

I want to add some TRVs to my radiators. I will need to add them on to 6 radiators, which leaves 1 with a normal valve.

Has anyone ever used one of these pipe freezing kits? All my radiator pipes are plastic, around 8mm (I think). I'm wondering whether there area any risks from using these pipe freezing kits like the pipe bursting etc.

Currently have a boiler, hot water tank, and a cold water tank in the loft.

Thanks

steptoe

TK Veteran
Yep, deffo better to drain it down, and add inhibitor while you are at it.
And remember that some TRVs are directional, they will work in both direction, but are more efficient if installed in the correct direction, or just get bi-directional ones.

urie

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
Also If it was one of the kits with spray can it would cost you a bit you would probably need a few cans, you can hire electric freezing machine but also not cheap.
If you are draining full system anyway why not replace lockshield valves while you are at it. Not much dearer for a pair of valves than it costs for single TRV. I know lockshield valves will still be working but even for appearancies sake it may look better rather than old valve and new :smiley:

Drbox

TK Veteran
Yep, deffo better to drain it down, and add inhibitor while you are at it.
And remember that some TRVs are directional, they will work in both direction, but are more efficient if installed in the correct direction, or just get bi-directional ones.

If I add inhibitor via the radiator, am I right in saying that I only need to do it one radiator and it will flow through the system?

Thanks

pabloescaban

VIP Member
TK Supporter
If I add inhibitor via the radiator, am I right in saying that I only need to do it one radiator and it will flow through the system?

Thanks
Yes, there's a fitting you can get that screws onto the bottle and into the radiator valve with a short hose between for easy filling

steptoe

TK Veteran
Fernox is good stuff,
But, if you have the system drained down, just pour it into one of the pipes before you fit the TRV , leave an upstairs rad til last is easiest way, I done my towel rad in bathroom as it has the bleed valves vertical on the top.

urie

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
Fernox is good stuff,
But, if you have the system drained down, just pour it into one of the pipes before you fit the TRV , leave an upstairs rad til last is easiest way, I done my towel rad in bathroom as it has the bleed valves vertical on the top.
Towel rad is easiest to add inhibitor as steptoe mentioned just remove blank cap to add and open bleed valve on other side so to let air out when adding the inhibitor.