Adding TRVs

When you washed it out, how many times did you rinse it through with the hosepipe?
Sludge has a consistency of thick paint

Did you fill rad when flushing it and lift it side to side and up and down a few times to make sure you got everything out.

Yesterday I just drained the rad and then flushed it outside with a hose pipe, I ran the hose pipe through it for about 5 or so minutes, whilst banging the radiator with a soft low hammer.

Does the rad heat the full way if you isolate all other rads to force water to that one radiator? If so could be a balancing issue or circulating pump not strong enough no more.

I haven't tried balancing yet, I might give that a go next. But this issue has been fairly recent, it worked fine the past 15 or so years.

Adding it to one radiator won't do anything, the hot water is traveling around the whole system every time the heating comes on.

So what I mean is, if I add the cleaner to one radiator will it run through the whole system? Or would I need to drop it into the cold water tank in the loft for it to run through?

Yesterday I just drained the rad and then flushed it outside with a hose pipe, I ran the hose pipe through it for about 5 or so minutes, whilst banging the radiator with a soft low hammer.

I haven't tried balancing yet, I might give that a go next. But this issue has been fairly recent, it worked fine the past 15 or so years.

So what I mean is, if I add the cleaner to one radiator will it run through the whole system? Or would I need to drop it into the cold water tank in the loft for it to run through?
It travels around the whole system.
I left mine in for a week before powerflushing the system.

What I meant about the hosepipe shenanigans, did you have the rad upside down and filled it and emptied it a few times?
If you had it upright, the water could have cut a small path through the sludge leaving the majority of it still in

What I meant about the hosepipe shenanigans, did you have the rad upside down and filled it and emptied it a few times?
If you had it upright, the water could have cut a small path through the sludge leaving the majority of it still in

I put the rad on the side and did it, and then did the other side. I.e. where the TRV goes was pointing up first and put the hosepipe through that. And then the connector where the lock shield goes was pointing up and put the hose through that. I did that for about 5 minutes each time.

Are any of these hammer things good? Or if they're overkill, I'll probably do Ferret's trick add just add some citric acid next time beforehand.

Trappex Power Flushing Vibrating Hammer, Radiator Sludge Agitator | eBay

drain one of the radiators and add cleaner into that or if whole system is drained you can add to tank, you cannot add to tank if system is already filled up it wont do anything.

I put the rad on the side and did it, and then did the other side. I.e. where the TRV goes was pointing up first and put the hosepipe through that. And then the connector where the lock shield goes was pointing up and put the hose through that. I did that for about 5 minutes each time.

Are any of these hammer things good? Or if they're overkill, I'll probably do Ferret's trick add just add some citric acid next time beforehand.

Trappex Power Flushing Vibrating Hammer, Radiator Sludge Agitator | eBay
you need sds drill to use one of those , but you do not have the rest of the equiptment to do powerflush and a real powerflush on a really old system can cause problems we have does quite a few and sometimes it can result in radiators leaking caused by the more powerfull powerflush cleaner the unit we use at work connects to magnaclean magnetic filter connections. But the vibrating hammer should certanly loosten the sludge inside the radiator but if you do that with radiator still inline it will just push the sludge through the rest of the system not good if no filter unit to catch it and real powerflush has two large units.

Cool, I'll go with the citric acid first and then revisit if that doesn't do it.

Is there much of a difference between these two TRVs?

White / Chrome Angled TRV & Lockshield 15mm x ½
Drayton RT212 White / Chrome Angled TRV & Lockshield 15mm x ½

They seem pretty much the same to me looking at the specs (although I have limited knowledge of these). I'm planning to replace the TRV heads with some smart TRVs later on, so if the difference is in the top part of the TRV, then I will just go with the cheaper ones.

The latter TRV you can get free with a radiator, so I'm wondering whether the extra spend on that TRV is worth it. As my worst affected radiator is a single panel 800 x 400, so I'm wondering whether just to replace that altogether as one of those is only £32 from screwfix any you get the '£26' TRV for free.

Last edited:
Cool, I'll go with the citric acid first and then revisit if that doesn't do it.

Is there much of a difference between these two TRVs?

White / Chrome Angled TRV & Lockshield 15mm x ½
Drayton RT212 White / Chrome Angled TRV & Lockshield 15mm x ½

They seem pretty much the same to me looking at the specs (although I have limited knowledge of these). I'm planning to replace the TRV heads with some smart TRVs later on, so if the difference is in the top part of the TRV, then I will just go with the cheaper ones.

The latter TRV you can get free with a radiator, so I'm wondering whether the extra spend on that TRV is worth it. As my worst affected radiator is a single panel 800 x 400, so I'm wondering whether just to replace that altogether as one of those is only £32 from screwfix any you get the '£26' TRV for free.
the drayton ones are branded name and to be honest cheaper ones will do the same job and both come with same warranty I can't remember the smart trv's we fitted a while back the customer had bought them herself but they did come with adaptors to suite most trv's .

Back