Advice choosing an IPTV box (or do I need an alternative)

Monty2468

Hi Folks,

A mate of mine has a Mag box and swears by it and he’s very happy with the provider he uses. I’ve been wanting to get Eurosport to watch BSB and WSB, and also like the sound of getting more films etc, so I’ve been looking into getting a Magbox for myself, as he says they’re easy to setup and fairly reliable. (We currently have BT TV and approx 38 meg Broadband, and no dish)

I was almost set to get one until I came across this great site, which has highlighted some problems with Magboxes (getting blocked etc), and offered a vast array of alternative solutions, some of which look far better, ( what are the extra things you can do with a Formuler Android box ?), but I’m concerned that I might get out of my depth trying to get them to work.

We hardly watch anything when it’s broadcast, but I gather I won’t be able to reliably record Eurosport to watch later, but depending on provider I should be able to ‘catch up’ for approx 7 days, have I understood that correctly ?

Cheers
Monty2468

Any Android box with about 3Gb of RAM will run IPTV as well as any MAG.

Load an app like Stb Emu Pro or Digital STB, there are copies on here or you can download direct to your box
from Google playstore.

They are MAG emulators so your box will set up, look and work exactly the same way as a MAG when running IPTV, you wouldn't know the difference.

However, you can add many more apps such Tea TV for example, for box sets and films, all the catch up channels if you haven't got a smart TV, run cracked Netflix accounts and
plenty of other stuff.

It's just a lot more flexable and you can learn as you go. It's really not that difficult, and there is plenty of help about.

Never needed to record IPTV so maybe someone else will chip in a few words of wisdom for you.

Personally would never “ever” buy magbox. They betrayed many of there customers not to long ago by blocking servers. Also if your supplier gets blocked during EPL matches and either refuses or unsure how to get around block your only option is cough up more money for DD-WRT router.
(stay away from informir devices)

If you like the layout of magboxes... get yourself a firestick and run STBEMU on it. Your out of reach from informir and firestick will look like mag and has option of internal VPN.

You can get a firestick now for £25 from amazon or currys.
(for limited time)

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

A mate of mine has a Mag box and swears by it and he’s very happy with the provider he uses. I’ve been wanting to get Eurosport to watch BSB and WSB, and also like the sound of getting more films etc, so I’ve been looking into getting a Magbox for myself, as he says they’re easy to setup and fairly reliable. (We currently have BT TV and approx 38 meg Broadband, and no dish)

I was almost set to get one until I came across this great site, which has highlighted some problems with Magboxes (getting blocked etc), and offered a vast array of alternative solutions, some of which look far better, ( what are the extra things you can do with a Formuler Android box ?), but I’m concerned that I might get out of my depth trying to get them to work.

We hardly watch anything when it’s broadcast, but I gather I won’t be able to reliably record Eurosport to watch later, but depending on provider I should be able to ‘catch up’ for approx 7 days, have I understood that correctly ?

Cheers
Monty2468
Try this ''till you get sorted https://www.eurosport.co.uk/watch-eurosport-live-stream.shtml £1 per wk. I have for a backup as for WSBK etc

Any Android box with about 3Gb of RAM will run IPTV as well as any MAG.

Load an app like Stb Emu Pro or Digital STB, there are copies on here or you can download direct to your box
from Google playstore.

They are MAG emulators so your box will set up, look and work exactly the same way as a MAG when running IPTV, you wouldn't know the difference.

However, you can add many more apps such Tea TV for example, for box sets and films, all the catch up channels if you haven't got a smart TV, run cracked Netflix accounts and
plenty of other stuff.

It's just a lot more flexable and you can learn as you go. It's really not that difficult, and there is plenty of help about.

Never needed to record IPTV so maybe someone else will chip in a few words of wisdom for you.
Thanks for the info, I need to look into the Android stuff a lot more, I’ve never seen a Magbox in action so have no idea how they look on screen

Personally would never “ever” buy magbox. They betrayed many of there customers not to long ago by blocking servers. Also if your supplier gets blocked during EPL matches and either refuses or unsure how to get around block your only option is cough up more money for DD-WRT router.

If you like the layout of magboxes... get yourself a firestick and run STBEMU on it. Your out of reach from informir and firestick will look like mag and has option of internal VPN.

(for limited time)
I’ve never seen a Magbox layout on screen yet, I read about the blocking which got me concerned

Try this ''till you get sorted https://www.eurosport.co.uk/watch-eurosport-live-stream.shtml £1 per wk. I have for a backup as for WSBK etc
Thanks for that link, it’ll help while I look into a long term solution

Have a look at the MXQ Pro 4K Android box. About £30 quid on eBay, comes with loads of IPTV and movie watching apps already installed. Plenty of help here and on Youtube if you do need/want to stick more apps on it.

(for limited time)
Why is only option is cough up more money for DD-WRT router. When you can buy a pre configured vpn router and pay a monthly sub to the vpn service so there is a few options and for a peace of mind pre configured cheaper than what you have mentioned

Why is only option is cough up more money for DD-WRT router. When you can buy a pre configured vpn router and pay a monthly sub to the vpn service so there is a few options and for a peace of mind pre configured cheaper than what you have mentioned
I’ve been reading all your great info on vpn’s, I think you’ve helped a lot of people

Personally i dont believe in paying for routers when a supplier has been to busy advertising all over the place then getting blocked.
There is cheaper options.
But as i posted a firestick for £25 that can run a VPN within, i find how it can get cheaper than that.

I’ve been reading all your great info on vpn’s, I think you’ve helped a lot of people
Me and @makido has done guides on vpn routers mate you don't have to buy expensive dd rt router to reflash to put vpn on to they do same job

Personally i dont believe in paying for routers when a supplier has been to busy advertising all over the place then getting blocked.
There is cheaper options.
But as i posted a firestick for £25 that can run a VPN within, i find how it can get cheaper than that.
I get what your saying mate but it dosnt always say its the server could be customers isp doing the blocking and if it was a full server block no vpn would work that's why when it's isp blocking customers vpns work as not a block on server

I get what your saying mate but it dosnt always say its the server could be customers isp doing the blocking and if it was a full server block no vpn would work that's why when it's isp blocking customers vpns work as not a block on server
Most if not all blocks are ISPs, and yes VPN will work around that. My refference to blocks in this thread was informir blocking portals as OP mentioned magboxes.

Either by CDN or AWS.... depending on hosting network(s) they can get around it without client needing a VPN.

if all you want is bike racing, motoGP and WSBK and BSB, stick a dish upo and point it at 19e,
all I watch in practicality is bike racing, you already have motoGP on BTsport, and eurosport is available on 19e with english audio for WSB, not sure how good the coverage is on BSB tho, but it is there.
otherwise, get IPTV as long as you have good internet speed.

If all you want is Eurosport why not just take a sub with them I only paid £19.99 for a year I certainly don’t begrudge paying for a legit sub when they are reasonable and you get all the catch up and extra live events on their app.

If all you want is Eurosport why not just take a sub with them I only paid £19.99 for a year I certainly don’t begrudge paying for a legit sub when they are reasonable and you get all the catch up and extra live events on their app.

Eurosport is primarily what I’m after, but after looking into the IPTV options, it would also be nice to get more Movies etc for the rest of the family. When I looked on the BT TV site to get Eurosport I’d need to move to a more expensive TV package, and if I wanted it in HD an even more expensive package and also buy a new box, so IPTV looked a cheaper option.

I've never used a vpn but a few of my mates swear by PIA vpn and they say it works well. I think they are doing a deal at the moment about £60.00 for 2 years with a 7 day money back guarantee which is not too bad. As for mag box issues, I have used about 50 mag boxes and never had a single problem with any of them so probably down to provider selling on open media and getting blocked.

Back