Advice please on Yale front door lock

Builder has just fitted as below - a lock with the handles different height on either side. Does anyone know
the model number, or whether there is a way of holding the bolt in when closed, so you’re not locked out when its slammed shut by the draught. 😀

Attachments

• DB5D6656-CF78-4710-BEC9-BC0A8508254B.jpeg
    DB5D6656-CF78-4710-BEC9-BC0A8508254B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
Builder has just fitted as below - a lock with the handles different height on either side. Does anyone know
the model number, or whether there is a way of holding the bolt in when closed, so you’re not locked out when its slammed shut by the draught. 😀
That is a total cockup :ROFLMAO: Phone the builders and get them back to fix it.

It can be converted quite easily to in-line handles by replacing the spindle and handles and this would prevent being accidentally locked out. In the meantime just flip the handle up to stop the door shutting.

Yup the mechanism has two spindle holes that operate the latch independently. If you want an in-line you can add one with a different handle and a straight through spindle.

What was specified to be fitted,?
Self locking doors are the norm these days it would seem.
BTW , that's not what most people take as a Yale (type) lock.

Thanks for all your replies. The builder was told “build me a porch”. The door is opened by a Yale key that fits hirizontally into the lock.
Flipping the handle up stops the door slamming shut, as spanner replied. I’ve ordered a Keysafe, just in case of lockouts.

The door cylinder will be Yale.
You don't want to be relying on lifting the handle too often to stop it shutting. Over time you'll bend the latch/deadbolt especially if the wind gets hold of it. Just get an in-line handle with a straight through spindle. I'm a locksmith btw.

Screenshot_20221009_110941.jpg

Your gearbox

Screenshot_20221009_110955.jpg

@HiTecK
Thanks, that explains it perfectly.

@steptoe
”This is what is commonly called a YALE lock”
That is what I was expecting. But since this porch has taken coming up to two years to get this far
(Builder: ”I’ve ordered from China and it’s stuck because of COVID”), and he *still* has to plaster
the walls and tile the floor, I’ll keep stum for now.

@HiTecK
Thanks, that explains it perfectly.

@steptoe
”This is what is commonly called a YALE lock”
That is what I was expecting. But since this porch has taken coming up to two years to get this far
(Builder: ”I’ve ordered from China and it’s stuck because of COVID”), and he *still* has to plaster
the walls and tile the floor, I’ll keep stum for now.
If you've already paid him it may never get finished.
Don't pay until it's completed.
You could pay him half and offer to pay the remainder on completion but not pay in full before then, he has no interest in finishing it.
The lock is a common feature these days.
a Yale lock as mentioned above is not as secure as the one you have now

Back