After what I suspect is some basic advice...

DogsNads

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster and all that. Thanks to all the great advice on here I got an openbox at my previous house which worked a treat. But now I've moved into a flat I've got a different problem and I'm hoping you guys can advise me.

Basically I've got Fibre Broadband and a V6 box from Virgin Media, but I'm sick of the regular price rises. I also never use the phone line and hardly ever watch live TV anymore. I would get rid of the V6 and just go with the Broadband (as the other broadband options are all slower DSL) but my external aerial is cut and I would like the option of using freeview through the TV once in a while. I'm not bothered about Sports, Movies, Premium channels or PPV. Basically the normal freeview channels are good for me along with Netflix/Prime.

So....I've seen a few threads where people have stated that if you retain the VM fibre broadband the TV line remains live so that if you plug in an alternative STB you can retain the basic channels. Is this correct? Is it traceable?
And if so whats a decent STB to get that would do the job? I've seen a few ZGemma H2H's on ebay for decent prices, don't want to shell out too much as I may move from this place in due course and have different broadband and aerial choices.

Grateful for any and all advice...

Mind you I feel like I should know as I worked for C & W back in the day, but it was all analogue then....long before NTL and Virgin...

Bloody hell starview 1 era lol,do these places have sky plugged in thinking freesat box,yep itv if only broadband.

Bloody hell starview 1 era lol,do these places have sky plugged in thinking freesat box,yep itv if only broadband.

The joy of chipped boxes back in the day....only after I'd finished there mind....
Unfortunately no Sky socket or dish, I'd gladly plug into the normal aerial socket but the line outside has been cut (no idea why)

I had a look at the Firestick threads, had a Roku before which I guess is similar. Do the 4K Ultra ones work ok with a decent PQ? Or is it better to stick to the HD ones?
After re reading your initial post, if you just want the real basics, as Moshibeth had said get yourself a 4K firestick then load from play store the free streaming apps (BBC IPLAYER, ITV HUB, ALL 4 AND MY 5) for your basics.
Then instead of paying any Netflix /Prime just sideload Cinema HD which will give you movies and tv box sets which will cost you nothing. At a later date you could also add IPTV.

After re reading your initial post, if you just want the real basics, as Moshibeth had said get yourself a 4K firestick then load from play store the free streaming apps (BBC IPLAYER, ITV HUB, ALL 4 AND MY 5) for your basics.
Then instead of paying any Netflix /Prime just sideload Cinema HD which will give you movies and tv box sets which will cost you nothing. At a later date you could also add IPTV.

Many thanks, thats really helpful

Back