Air conditioner recommendations ?

loncell

TK Veteran
I'm after a bit of buying advice, can anyone recommend an air conditioner ?, our upstairs is like a gas mark 8 of a night. Are any of the Screwfix one's any good as its across the road from me and do the Dyson one's do as they say on the tin ?. We've thinking about one for the past few years but never got round to buying one

I dropped on these last night while I were sweating cobs in bed
Williston Force | Index

but I'm not sure if there any good

There's so many on the market its frightening, Amazon has 100's if not 1000's.
Dyson stuff is normally very good so if anyone has used one of their air con product please post up your thoughts

problem is they are all heat exchangers of some sort.

the last one i had required a 4" pipe going out the window which kind of defies the point for me :unsure:

whats the point in having the window open on a hot day when you're trying to cool the room?

worse was the water overflow from the humidity taken from the air.

the evaporative coolers are pretty much usless also.

best thing i have found, bar a full aircon install is this.

sit a 15" desk fan on the window board, face the back of the fan towards the outside of the house with the window slightly open and leave the room door slightly ajar.

bang it on full blast an hour before you go to bed and then on its lowest setting when you go to bed.

it will drag the cooler air in from outside.

if you want to lower temps a little more put a couple of bottles of frozen water in front of the fan.

it will work a hell of a lot better than the thing you linked in the first post (y)

I'm after a bit of buying advice, can anyone recommend an air conditioner ?, our upstairs is like a gas mark 8 of a night. Are any of the Screwfix one's any good as its across the road from me and do the Dyson one's do as they say on the tin ?. We've thinking about one for the past few years but never got round to buying one

I dropped on these last night while I were sweating cobs in bed
Williston Force | Index

but I'm not sure if there any good
The Williston Force is a crock of shit just like those super plug in heaters you see.

I had a Homebase portable air con unit years ago but it eventually ended up in the skip it worked okay but was more hassle than it was worth for me. You had to have it running for ages before going to bed and wifey liked it running all night it was costing a fortune in electricity and as I like a quiet room the noise annoyed the feck out of me. You always seemed to be emptying the water out of it and being in Scotland 99% of the time it was just taking up space in a corner. I installed a vent through the wall as I didn’t like the vent hose out of the window look.

I have done something a bit like LambLamb : Desk fan on the floor of bedroom, a dishwashing bowl full of water directly in front of fan (with fan directed slightly downwards, so 'breeze' flows
across the bowl of water). I set it running two/three hours before bedtime : Does it work ?? not sure, but the idea is that the air flowing across the water is cooled and then flows into the rest of the room....

Same principle as the Williston Force, but Cheaper !! ;)

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/air-con

Lots of discussion and recommendations on hotukdeals about them, although the best prices on them are out of heatwave season unfortunately! I've toyed with the idea of getting one but currently make do with a tower fan on top of the bedroom drawers, with a smart plug switching it on and off at intervals through the night when it's hot.

Best way to cool upstairs is to insulate the loft properly.
Insulation works both ways, sun blasting on roof tiles will heat up the loft like an oven.
Good insulation will prevent most of this coming through the ceilings into the bedrooms.
Even then it can still get warm of an evening, what I do is open all the upstairs windows for an hour before I go to bed to allow airflow to dissipate the heat.

Another thought is what is on your bed and in use at night?

I am old skool but needed a change of mattress and got a memory foam but longer size and find it warm with old cheap cotton sheets.

I bought Egyptian cotton 1000 tc top sheet as lovely and smooth and is all i need to cover me.

+ invested in silk pillow cases that cool your head down more and surprised how good they are.

Luckily i can leave top window open for cooling room down.

Blackout curtains help to reduce heat coming inside.

Was also checking out cooling mats under lower sheet that can be chilled in fridge and have a cool bed getting inside but reviews said waking up at night 4 hrs later and in a warmer bed.

I just use a portable air cooler wherever I am sitting and does the job and for rest of the house have the windows open on hot days like today.

If I'm upstairs say watching football open the window every insect within a square mile enters the room.
Our bedroom is south facing so the roof heats up and remains warm most of the night

Back