Air Rifles

loncell

TK Veteran
Anybody clued up on them?. My house backs onto a field and a stream. People around here have noticed quite alot of activity.
One neighbour has found them in the house up through a hole in the wall in his garage were the cables come in.
Regarding the rifle, I'm not sure if to get a break barrel or CO2 cartridge
I'm thinking
IR telescopics
Quite or take a silencer
Accurate around to 10m back gate.
I'm gonna go full Johnny Wambo on this.
I shall be posting my head count as the furry blighters fall

Anybody clued up on them?. My house backs onto a field and a stream. People around here have noticed quite alot of activity.
One neighbour has found them in the house up through a hole in the wall in his garage were the cables come in.
I'm thinking
IR telescopics
Quite or take a silencer
co2 mate

ye,
PCP if your a beginner,
but get something half decent, a cheap pcp will be crapper than a cheap break barrel,
but, the end result will be the shooter,
PCP is so easy to shoot they are unreal, no recoil or anything,
saying that, Ive outshot a few pcp guys using an old Weirauch break barrel, and I'm far from the best shot in the world
do NOT buy a £300 pcp and think its gonna be good, a £150 2nd hand break barrel will outshoot it all day long
the other thing to bare in mind is calibre
if you want to kill rodents you are going to need .22
.177 (imho) just doesnt have the same stopping power, albeit more accurate over longer distances if wind isnt a factor

I'm thinking
IR telescopics
Quite or take a silencer
tell your neighbour to fill the hole with stretched out wire wool and broken glass, he coukd even pour a slurry of cement over it if he feels the need,
dont used expanding foam or any sh!t like that, its a waste of time and will eat into the cable insulation

There coming in through and under the back fence and gate that leads onto the field., bqlock a hole they find another,

Their clever little fookers you know

ye,
PCP if your a beginner,
but get something half decent, a cheap pcp will be crapper than a cheap break barrel,
but, the end result will be the shooter,
PCP is so easy to shoot they are unreal, no recoil or anything,
saying that, Ive outshot a few pcp guys using an old Weirauch break barrel, and I'm far from the best shot in the world
do NOT buy a £300 pcp and think its gonna be good, a £150 2nd hand break barrel will outshoot it all day long
the other thing to bare in mind is calibre
if you want to kill rodents you are going to need .22
.177 (imho) just doesnt have the same stopping power, albeit more accurate over longer distances if wind isnt a factor
Any brands models I've about £200 and shops , thanks

@loncell
Weirauch are good,
You could pick a decent 2nd hand one with telescopic sight for about £150ish
You are not going to get a PCP for near that sort of money, unless you go for some far Eastern junk that will be scrap when it breaks.
Have a look on guntrader, or Google if there are any shops near you.
There are a few round my way that often have trade ins for sale.
IR sights are stupid money for something decent, you are going to have to rethink that idea.

Man I remember 1.77 and the 2.2 air rifles with double pointed pellets but they can become very expensive with new parts sights ect and silencer so not as loud.
Plus you have to watch for neighbours reporting you and armed response busting through your door nowdays.

I've got a Webley Vulcan that i swapped for a computer game years ago in the early 90's. I once took it into our yard at work at shot it from about 30m into the workshop at a box of cardboard containing rags, This cardboard was really thick. Not only did shoot through one side it shot through the other side and burried itself about 2" into the breezeblock out the other side. It is really powerfull.

I think your fine shooting on your own property. You can shoot vermin which means I can take a pip at a few neighbours if the lean over my fence :)

Airguns may be used only on land where the user has full permission to shoot. This may be your garden, or private land owned or leased by an individual or club. Remember, wherever you shoot, you must ensure that all of your pellets remain within the boundary of the land to which your shooting permission applies.

I've looked at this little bugger, it seems popular for ratting
Crosman Ratcatcher 2250 XL - .22 CO2 Air Rifle - CO2 Powered Air Rifles | Pellpax

Walking up the close with this might react the SAS swooping through my bedroom windows (she wouldn't mind)
MINI UZI CO2 Air Rifle - Just Air Guns

I've got a Webley Vulcan that i swapped for a computer game years ago in the early 90's. I once took it into our yard at work at shot it from about 30m into the workshop at a box of cardboard containing rags, This cardboard was really thick. Not only did shoot through one side it shot through the other side and burried itself about 2" into the breezeblock out the other side. It is really powerfull.
I had a Webley break barrel pistol .177 I seem to remember having (correct me if I'm wrong) a BSA under lever rifle now that was powerful

I still have my air riffle 177 from when a was a kid,it's an antique now and should be in museum,once you get your air riffle you need a ferret and a terrior and your good to go.

I think your fine shooting on your own property. You can shoot vermin which means I can take a pip at a few neighbours if the lean over my fence :)

Airguns may be used only on land where the user has full permission to shoot. This may be your garden, or private land owned or leased by an individual or club. Remember, wherever you shoot, you must ensure that all of your pellets remain within the boundary of the land to which your shooting permission applies.

Crosman Ratcatcher 2250 XL - .22 CO2 Air Rifle - CO2 Powered Air Rifles | Pellpax

Walking up the close with this might react the SAS swooping through my bedroom windows (she wouldn't mind)
I remember if your walking to and from where your shooting you need a gun bag.

I've never used a CO2 pellet gun, only BB gun, I do know they eat canisters.
Have you looked at any independent reviews for that rifle,?

I'd reckon someone put a big Spring in that at some time,
It used to be fine and legal, but now it's not allowed without a firearms cert over a certain pressure.

Personally don't like pellet guns as my best mate got shot by one and killed him aged 21 at time but if you play it right you will be fine ect

Priced it and were roughly talking about a 1000 pellets on co2 12gram for £20
Thats a decent price for pellets even bb would be decent

I just need it for rats nothing else. Just out of curiosity, is there a list of vermin you can kill legally on your property ?

Thats a decent price for pellets even bb would be decent
I mean thats the cost of the co2, pellets are extra

I had a Webley break barrel pistol .177 I seem to remember having (correct me if I'm wrong) a BSA under lever rifle now that was powerful
The Crossman ratcatcher will do the job fine and are easily upgradeable. I used them for ages and still have 2 here along with a load of spare parts.

A Jack Russell will soon clear them out.

Last edited:
Rats are nocturnal, you won't see enough to kill during the day to keep numbers down as they'll breed faster than you can shoot them. If you are seeing lots in the day, that means you've got a big problem. Poison in bait boxes is the best option.

Rats are nocturnal, you won't see enough to kill during the day to keep numbers down as they'll breed faster than you can shoot them. If you are seeing lots in the day, that means you've got a big problem. Poison in bait boxes is the best option.
I make my own and they still come, it's the area but I can do my bit. As for at night ?, nope these are here in the day. Not as many but I can pick them off one by one. I konw they love brown sauce lol. Put that down near your bait they come running with a chip in a paw.

So once I made some with bi carb cocca powder flower water like a gum ball. put them in a bait box then wait. So next day I goes out to the washing line and there's one dead on the grass 20feet from the bait box half its head hanging off. I plays back cctv and you can see it munch then the bi carb takes over (rats cant pass gas) it starts somersaulting backflips then a maggie watching from the shed roof swoops down and pecks its head off. x rated stuff but fully deserved

I make my own and they still come, it's the area but I can do my bit. As for at night ?, nope these are here in the day. Not as many but I can pick them off one by one. I konw they love brown sauce lol. Put that down near your bait they come running with a chip in a paw.

So once I made some with bi carb cocca powder flower water like a gum ball. put them in a bait box then wait. So next day I goes out to the washing line and there's one dead on the grass 20feet from the bait box half its head hanging off. I plays back cctv and you can see it munch then the bi carb takes over (rats cant pass gas) it starts somersaulting backflips then a maggie watching from the shed roof swoops down and pecks its head off. x rated stuff but fully deserved

The rats you're seeing in the day are the weakest of the colonies. The strongest are feeding at night and the runts come out during daylight hours. While you're popping off an odd one every now and again with the air rifle the main men are back at the nest making babies at a faster rate than you can shoot.

I've had good results with baking soda too, just mixed with plain flour. Put it in a hole if you can find one, they'll all eat it on their way in and out.

There's some very effective single feed poisons about, if I had your issue I'd start pulse baiting now - leave bait boxes with single feed poison then take away to let the rats who've eaten it die, put more out once the first consumers have died (7-10 days) and the weaker rats will feed on it. Just to reiterate, rats are nocturnal and if you're seeing some in the day that's because there's a hell of a lot of them there at night.

Back