Alcohol habits

pdw

Does anyone have any problems with alcohol ? (apart from spilling it, of course) I have drunk since my teens and now into my late fifties, I still really enjoy it - not only the feeling but all the fun around it with mates in the pub, and honestly, with my wife as well. Sometimes I feel as if I would love to pack it in but I know I would miss all the good fun. I dont get that pissed but probably drink at least 4 pints of Stella or equivalent a day - is that too much? The growing size of my belly tells me that it is too much. Ive got a real responsible job working in a big European Organisation in the Netherlands and it doesnt affect my work -I get loads of time off work at home in UK so I think its a bit of boredom - my wife goes off to work and by the time lunch time comes, Im dying to get up the pub or sit in the garden with a few tinnies. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear of other guys and gals drinking habits - share and bare all please.

From google
Uk recommend per week is 14
stella is 2.7

2.7 x 4 = 10.8 min per day
10.8 x 7 = 75.6

From google
Uk recommend per week is 14
stella is 2.7

2.7 x 4 = 10.8 min per day
10.8 x 7 = 75.6
Yes siilver, far too much is the answer as far as government recommendations are concerned but I'm more interested in real people sharing how much we all drink.

In all honesty there's nothing wrong doing a hard day's graft and having a few beers lol but in all honesty I don't hardly drink and when I do drink it's with my next door neighbour and usually if we have a drink it's usually about 14 bottles or cans of budweiser missus won't drink if I have a drink and vice versa and its not every day/night/weekend just when feel like having a beer really

Reactions: pdw
Thanks baz - I wish I could say that -' I don't hardly drink '
I went 2 years without a drink years ago - I used to take Disulfiram tablets to stop me because I had FA will power to stop on my own. I wish I hadnt started again. I guess I have got a problem with alcohol and the fact that its not affecting my life or work Im shutting my eyes to it to a certain extent.

Thanks baz - I wish I could say that -' I don't hardly drink '
I went 2 years without a drink years ago - I used to take Disulfiram tablets to stop me because I had FA will power to stop on my own. I wish I hadnt started again. I guess I have got a problem with alcohol and the fact that its not affecting my life or work Im shutting my eyes to it to a certain extent.
Tbh we all have to de stress some way lol how I look at is don't do class a b drugs ect don't drink to cause shite and get into scraps so don't see any wrong doing really Aslong as everyone knows there limits lol

Exactly baz - I dont do any other drugs . I did years ago just to experiment but alcohol was my choice. I dont cause anybody harm apart from myself and thats why I should cut down . I wish I could. When I go to work, I fly to Amsterdam, work for one week, 12 hours a day. In my time off in that week, I'll have a few beers after work in the bar at work. Then, when my stint is finished and I come back to UK I get 2 weeks off and thats when I get a bit bored and want to catch up with my mates

Exactly baz - I dont do any other drugs . I did years ago just to experiment but alcohol was my choice. I dont cause anybody harm apart from myself and thats why I should cut down . I wish I could. When I go to work, I fly to Amsterdam, work for one week, 12 hours a day. In my time off in that week, I'll have a few beers after work in the bar at work. Then, when my stint is finished and I come back to UK I get 2 weeks off and thats when I get a bit bored and want to catch up with my mates
Nothing wrong with that mate you earn the bread and butter (money) so entitled to a few lol beers mate but there just my opinions what I've posted mate

I’d say the fact you would struggle to stop for a couple of days may be an issue mate.

My father in law is very similar and we’ve tried helping him just get some control on it because he wouldn’t admit he has an issue but he sees it now.

If your asking people who drink the same way as you
Very few will say your drinking to little

When really it’s up to you
You have come and asked for help of sorts. You know what the recommendation is
So you know your drinking to much. You just trying to find reasons to keep drinking when you know you should drink less

Thanks for the comments, all of which I agree with. Im going to do something about it , starting today. My aim is to cut down to 1 a day, some days none at all.

Not to put a dampener on this thread but if you think you have a drink problem and can admit to yourself you have then you have a chance to do something about it.

As long as you dont get behind the wheel of a car thinking its ok to drive then you should be fine.

But sadly ive witnessed the sheer devastation that excessive drinking does and it aint pretty to say the least.

Thanks, youre right. Im determined to do something about it before it gets out of hand. Luckily, I have a week off it every time I'm at work - its just when Im at home on my time off I do it.... and by the way, youre right about getting behind the wheel of a car - I dont even think about it.

Since getting Ill, I pretty much stopped, but still enjoy a beer, or vodka, working away helped, but have to say, I am sure I went through withdrawal, insomnia was hard..
But living in a village where the pub is 150metres away is tempting..

Tbh I'd see 4 pints a day as a bad habit rather than a problem. It should be relatively easy to cut down gradually till you're drinking one or even no cans a night unless the mood takes you. Good luck.

I used to drink quite a bit, few beers couple of tots of Rum a habit of Navy days, got put on some medication by Doctor for unrelated condition who told me not to drink alcohol.
Took his advice and stopped! Haven't really missed it! I still open bottles of wine for the present Mrs Toddy!

Well I might get some stick here but I am one of those people who is now nearly tea total. I went through all of December and January without touching alcohol. On christmas day and new years I drank alcohol free beer and wine. I cannot take the after effects of drinking. Went out on saturday night this week and had 6 pints but come sunday I was feeling hungover all day and get depressed with it. I get a feeling of what a waste sunday is when you feel like this. If i had not drunk i could have got up early and gone off to the coast or out walking in town early. Just me but everyone to their own. My brother lives in bristol and loves the scene down there but decided last may he had had enough and has not touched a drop. I'm 46 by the way.

Back