Almera 2004 1.5 petrol starting issue

cactikid

VIP Member
Got a strange one in today and not got to the heart of it yet.

Sometimes putting key in ignition and turning nothing happens no dash lights or cranking happens,he might come back next day and it starts with no issues and nothing done.
Battery had been replaced a while ago and all earth straps checked and cleaned and battery terminals are clean.
I have replaced many ign switches when car would not crank but this does.
My mate suggested main relay for ecu but cannot find one or right in front of my eyes
Fault code P1614

Ignition switch on its way out, maybe a dry joint inside it.
The slightest vibration could make it connect/disconnect

On a Google search a few got it replaced and not fixed it. I have the car for a few days to see what its doing and can jiggle the key to see if it starts.Started every time in the garage.I hope its not ecu related.

No need as car is starting.
Happened a few times with customer non start and no dash lights.
On one occasion jump leads started car.
Well used to the click of stater and tapping starter with key held to see if it starts but not that issue.

God i hate intermittent electrical faults and especially anything to do with the ecu etc.

Fault codes can only give so much guidance but tracking the reason the fault has occured can be so tedious at times.

Could well be a faulty ignition barrel
Key not being recognised intermitently triggering on board immobiliser etc

But only 1 fault logged for that issue as usually if it keeps happening would it not just add another fault code.
I have seen cars in with more than one logs of same fault.
If immobiser had issue dont think that would stop dash lights and car turning over cranking?

Yeah its the dash lights thats throwing me etc this could either be a bad earth connection somewhere.

Faulty ignition barrel or a faulty instrument panel plug.

But none of these should stop the car from cranking or starting only a faulty ignition with the car already having a battery change and connections cleaned and checked.

Car was locked in garage since yesterday looked in through window and saw the security light flashing.Car opened and started normally.
I wish it could happen when we have the car in .Tick Tock.

Back