amiko viper 4k v40 v octagon SF8008

deanmitch

so here is my take on the two tuners having purchased /set up both in last two weeks amiko first then octagon, this is not a in depth technical review just from a casual user ( coming from a long line of zegemma boxes only) :smiley:
so cost wise they are very similar ( can vary slightly with options) both have very similar specs when it comes to memory , ram, display of time only & wi fi etc , although the sf80008 does have a faster lan connection( which i use so decided to try this model as well)i have fibre broadband and connect via a cat6 ethernet cable they are used primarily for IPTV with different providers.

amiko- is a very small unit ( approx half size of sf8008) the instructions that come in the box are very brief and not the best imo. initial set up was not straight forward as how to flash is not on the included instruction, i had trawled the interweb for a fair while how to flash this unit , this unit does not have a on/off switch (sf8008 does) so you have to unplug the power , reattach the power lead ( not easy if you don't have access to rear of unit) when the "menu" displays on front panel hold the green button on remote ( "menu" does not stay on long!) the updt will appear ( its flashing) once done set up is like any zgemma to get the image you want on.
now all is good EXCEPT the 3-4 second delay in the picture catching up with audio in changing channels, now i did change setting many times without success but i read this is a common problem and probably related to the chip set used ?

octagon- bigger unit, better boxed , instructions are no better than amiko, only thing is the power plug is a EU? twin prong but it is supplied with a uk adaptor, however this is not a good tight fit and it makes the plug twice as deep from the socket so if space is limited ? i actually used the plug form the amiko witch is a uk plug and exactly the same spec/ voltage/ box plug . initial set up was easier, helped by the on/of switch to flash. but again no instruction how to flash ( but this time i knew were to look!) this unit comes with multiboot, not something i had dealt with before having read the guides on how to flash i opted for a single flash (over a mulitboot flash)but as it turns out it already came with multiboot installed as i subsequently found out, now i dont know if its std now or not ?, it took a long time and a lot of reading to understand and use this feature but i now have 3 images i can chose from!
oh and there is no switching channel delay on this unit at this time but they can suffer as same chip set as amiko.

so i currently have the sf8008 running as i want it on wb infinity and am happy with the way it runs(y)
ps- i will post this in amiko section as well so hope that's ok:smiley:

Last edited:
now all is good EXCEPT the 3-4 second delay in the picture catching up with audio in changing channels, now i did change setting many times without success but i read this is a common problem and probably related to the chip set used ?
Exactly that mate that chipset is renowned for that delay. You dont complain of slow zapping on the 8008 though most do.

Good to hear your thoughts on these.

Exactly that mate that chipset is renowned for that delay. You dont complain of slow zapping on the 8008 though most do.

Good to hear your thoughts on these.
hi weirdly it does not have the delay like the amiko! i use wooshbuild infinity & willobuild images and neither have that delay dont know why as you say same chip set ?

Back