Analyst: PlayStation Motion Controller better for core gamers than Natal

homesick

VIP Member
TK Supporter
by Richard Mitchell { 1 day ago }

Hey, remember that Gamasutra feature where Michael Pachter said Xbox Twitter was the greatest thing of E3? Yeah, well in that very same feature, Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz had some choice words for the PlayStation Motion Controller. Specifically, Creutz believes that while Project Natal may have gotten the bulk of E3 coverage, the PlayStation Motion Controller is the better peripheral for hardcore gamers.

"Natal appeared to me to be a technological solution in search of a problem," said Creutz. "I had a very hard time envisioning playing Modern Warfare 3 using Natal," he said, adding, "By contrast, I had a very easy time envisioning it (and enjoying it) using Sony's control/motion capture scheme." Creutz stated that Microsoft is likely trying to snag some of the Wii's casual marketshare -- "a difficult proposition given that you're essentially asking casual gamers to upgrade twice during the cycle," according to Creutz -- while Sony's device caters more to the core gaming demographic.

We must point out that neither Project Natal nor the PlayStation Motion Controller are finished products, so there's no telling how they might be implemented in future games. For example, there's no reason that Natal couldn't make use of both motion sensing and traditional control, similar to Sony's device. Furthermore, we'd say Sony is probably just as keen to capture some of the casual market as Microsoft.

From - http://xbox.joystiq.com

Back