Other O/S Android 4.2.2 to Android 6.0

i recently did this to android 7.4 after googling guides online that were easy enough to follow, but none mentioned you had to unlock the bootloader first, so make sure you google the guide to do that and do that first, then when you find the guide that gives the new boatloader it should all work. the tablet is slow as hell tho so not much use for anything other than an ereader really. it took me about 4 days of trying as the locked bootloader stopped it working right. then google wanted voice activation and i had to shout into the mic to get it to register, it wouldn't work by skipping that part

i recently did this to android 7.4 after googling guides online that were easy enough to follow, but none mentioned you had to unlock the bootloader first, so make sure you google the guide to do that and do that first, then when you find the guide that gives the new boatloader it should all work. the tablet is slow as hell tho so not much use for anything other than an ereader really. it took me about 4 days of trying as the locked bootloader stopped it working right. then google wanted voice activation and i had to shout into the mic to get it to register, it wouldn't work by skipping that part
Are you installing the official firmware or custom ROMs?

Are you installing the official firmware or custom ROMs?
it was custom (which is why you need to unlock the bootloader) as 4.2.2 or something was the last official release. i got it working in the end. i did notice some suggested android 6 was less laggy, but went with the most recent version. the guides were a few years old. the tablet is about 12 years old and only has 1gb ram. i just did it because i could. they had £60 refurb 10" fire tablets recently, so it would make more sense to use one of those unless you are really financially strapped. it was for an older person who wasn't using it as it was too heavy and i set up a 7" fire tablet for them, but they found it a bit small by comparison so i was going to get them to see if they prefer the 8" or 10" fire instead as i can give them those to pick from and they will be more up to date and usable, and a bit lighter than the samsung. i just rest my tablet on my knee so dunno why they don't

it was custom (which is why you need to unlock the bootloader) as 4.2.2 or something was the last official release. i got it working in the end. i did notice some suggested android 6 was less laggy, but went with the most recent version. the guides were a few years old. the tablet is about 12 years old and only has 1gb ram. i just did it because i could. they had £60 refurb 10" fire tablets recently, so it would make more sense to use one of those unless you are really financially strapped. it was for an older person who wasn't using it as it was too heavy and i set up a 7" fire tablet for them, but they found it a bit small by comparison so i was going to get them to see if they prefer the 8" or 10" fire instead as i can give them those to pick from and they will be more up to date and usable, and a bit lighter than the samsung. i just rest my tablet on my knee so dunno why they don't
That 1gb of ram and processor being around 12 years old will struggle with Android be it custom or official.
Fire tablet makes sense more recent and if you don't like Amazons advertising everywhere.you have no end of custom ROMs and support for them.

Back