Android box recommendations please

Changy

TK Supporter
Hi

I am looking for some advice on which Android box to buy. It is for IPTV, nothing else.

I looked at technical reviews, and it seems the Amlogic S905X3 is the flavour of the month. I am not saying it is the best, or the only CPU I should consider.

I need a box that will handle IPTV streaming of sports and VOD. I looked at the Formuler Alpha Z, and BuzzTV XRS4500, and they appear impressive. Is it overkill? Could I buy a generic box with the Amlogic S905X3 and sufficient memory installed?

If the consensus is to choose the more expensive box, then I am happy to do that.

TIA

Changy

I always say and its just an opinion, if your spending the money on a buzz then put the extra and get a nvidia shield but other members will have an opinion on what box to get mate especially the likes of @bazcfc1 as I know he's been through a lot of boxes

If it's merely "to handle iptv streaming of sports and vod" then a firestick or most android boxes will fit that requirement. Anything above that boils down to how user friendly you want the box to be to get you to the thing you want to stream on it.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I read through the thread stated by @mike123 about IPTV boxes.

I was trying to get a setup for my elderly parents; they are stuck at home, and I thought VOD would be good. They could watch films or TV shows, and when the EPL starts up, my Dad could watch the 3 pm games. I set up an older VU+ Solo2, but it was slow as heck! My dear old Mum then announced she was not keen on it; speed was not the issue; she just wasn't interested!

I trialled it myself so thought I would use it, mainly for VOD TV shows. I then used the DuplexIPTV app on my LG OLED TV, but it was buffering. I have it wired to Vermin cable internet. Upscaling is not a requirement; I have a Denon AV receiver should I require that function. I am a realist about the quality, I am not after 4K, even SD will be okay for most things.

The BuzzTV XRS4500 is in joint first with the Formuler Z Alpha.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I read through the thread stated by @mike123 about IPTV boxes.

I was trying to get a setup for my elderly parents; they are stuck at home, and I thought VOD would be good. They could watch films or TV shows, and when the EPL starts up, my Dad could watch the 3 pm games. I set up an older VU+ Solo2, but it was slow as heck! My dear old Mum then announced she was not keen on it; speed was not the issue; she just wasn't interested!

I trialled it myself so thought I would use it, mainly for VOD TV shows. I then used the DuplexIPTV app on my LG OLED TV, but it was buffering. I have it wired to Vermin cable internet. Upscaling is not a requirement; I have a Denon AV receiver should I require that function. I am a realist about the quality, I am not after 4K, even SD will be okay for most things.

The BuzzTV XRS4500 is in joint first with the Formuler Z Alpha.

I have my formuler z7+ setup so it boots straight to the MyTvonline app, and the remote has a VOD button that takes you straight to that... that kinda thing might be an idea to cut the faff for your parents.

s905x3 is a great CPU
a95x air a great box
same with x96 air or max plus

or if u wanna try something new that is getting good reviews.. x96q its allwinner h313 android 10

or if u wanna try something new that is getting good reviews.. x96q its allwinner h313 android 10

Very, very impressed with this box so far. Very zippy with the navigation... I watched a YouTube review of it and thought it looked fast moving around the interface but thought it must be that either the footage was sped up, or that the box was super optimised somehow, but it really is nippy!

Formuler z alpha is very good box, easy to set up and simple to use X96 is also a good box at half the cost but takes a bit more to set up, but once your apps are installed it's easy to use.

Back