Another Freezing Thread....

be_ddiawl

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help, I have a line which is advertised as freeze free! I have set up a line for myself and a friend of mine! Both using same box, both using same Internet Provider on same package! mine can freeze for up to 5 minutes at a time, his does not freeze! the only difference is that he uses a Ethernet directly from the router and I use homeplugs!

Can this really make that much difference?

When I contact the line owner, he mentions there are no problems with his line, however, I got him to disconnect my line and then re connect to the server last week and I didnt have any freezing for days!

Any ideas? I feel a bit of a pain constantly messaging the line owner!

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

i had the same issue last year it was my internet speed going up and down that was causing the problem

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 PM ----------

or mabey try another provider for a line and see how it goes

If your friends is fine and yours is freezing it would suggest its your network. Are you not able to try using a Ethernet cable to see if it is your home plugs?

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help, I have a line which is advertised as freeze free! I have set up a line for myself and a friend of mine! Both using same box, both using same Internet Provider on same package! mine can freeze for up to 5 minutes at a time, his does not freeze! the only difference is that he uses a Ethernet directly from the router and I use homeplugs!

Can this really make that much difference?

When I contact the line owner, he mentions there are no problems with his line, however, I got him to disconnect my line and then re connect to the server last week and I didnt have any freezing for days!

Any ideas? I feel a bit of a pain constantly messaging the line owner!

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

both using the same provider, just to put your mind at rest, swap boxes with your mate and see what happens. Homeplugs can cause issues, are they socket to socket or are you using extensions?

Home plugs can well be the issue as i have seen it many times,Like mention above swap boxes with your mate for a day and see then

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments so far, My homeplugs have been reset and re paired a few times and still doing it, our ping is the same (approx 26 and were pulling in about 7mb download) no fiber in our area yet! (We live in rural North Wales)

I unfortunately don't have an ethernet cable long enough to try to be honest and there is no telephone socket near the tv to hook up the router there!

When i usually try test lines they don't freeze! this one didnt for at least a fortnight, then it started freezing! is there any way he can limit my connection and make it worse?

Have you tried switching off your receiver and router, leave switched off for about 15mins and start everything back up again as its important to reboot router maybe once a month!

yeah do a reboot at least once a week, i switch it off when i leave for work and usually turn it back on after work!

you say you are using homeplugs,some issues had been posted with some models when in use.

are you plugging the homeplugs into a twin wall socket and is there anything inserted into other socket and if so remove and will work better now?
what box and cam are you using?

just get an Ethernet cable that go`s from router to box and try it that way, if it still freezes then the homeplugs are not the problem, if the freezing go`s away then your homeplugs are the problem

I use TP Link homeplugs which occasionally drop connection. I've troubleshooted and it appears to be the one connected to the router which drops. I have replaced with brand new TP Link models but the issue remained, same chipset I think.

What I've been doing since is just running a ping -t from my home server to the router. "ping -t 192.168.1.254". Since I've been doing this I've not had any problems at all.

Same issue as discussed here - How to keep WPA4220 adapters alive - They keep disconnecting!!

If you have a home server (or a PC that's always on) then set up a script to start on boot which starts pinging your router. If not you could probably just run one directly from the box. Give it a try, might help.

Homeplugs don't provide a stable enough connection for freeze-free viewing. Many similar threads exist on other forums already about this. You need to improve the connection.

I don't get any problems whatsoever from my zyxel homeplugs plugged into my box`s and I have 1 box downstairs and 3 boxes upstairs.

swap line details/boxes, if you still experience problems and he doesnt you know its your set up

as long as both of you don't use the same details at the same time you wont get banned (so be careful)

edit: sorry just realized swapping boxes has already been suggested

Homeplugs don't provide a stable enough connection for freeze-free viewing. Many similar threads exist on other forums already about this. You need to improve the connection.

Agree 'freeze free' doesn't exist with these services, homeplugs generally work well tho'

Last edited:
I had this problem off and on for a number of months it turned out to be the home plugs in the end, if you go onto the manufacturer website you should be able to get the latest firmware. If it's a tp link like mine was you should be able to download a windows app where u can adjust a few settings my homeplug was set up for gaming by default I changed it to the video streaming setting and not had a freeze for weeks

A month on and still having issues, my box is now plugged directly into the router, today, the line is unwatchable, I email the supplier and it's never an issue from his end.

I'm literally at wits end with the freezing and even contemplating going back to sky.

What else can I try?

A month on and still having issues, my box is now plugged directly into the router, today, the line is unwatchable, I email the supplier and it's never an issue from his end.

I'm literally at wits end with the freezing and even contemplating going back to sky.

What else can I try?

As above, other tekkers have told you to take a test line to rule out provider

As above, other tekkers have told you to take a test line to rule out provider

A friend of mine has a line from the same guy, his has not froze in about 2 months, everything else is exactly the same. Same box, same router, same internet package same connection.

A friend of mine has a line from the same guy, his has not froze in about 2 months, everything else is exactly the same. Same box, same router, same internet package same connection.

try a test line from another provider to rule out provider issue!

Back