Any builders ?

Scufferoo

i am doing the bedroom up , have ended up having to remove all the plaster on the window wall , on the inside skin of bricks there is a wooden lintel across the length of the window opening , then the cavity then the outside skin of bricks on the window . Can I shove some loft insulation between the wood lintel and the bricks ? I have cavity wall insulation but there is none in this part of the cavity, will it cause any problems?

If there is any damp on the outside skin then its not a good idea as that is why there is a cavity. If its bone dry it will be fine or use an insulated plasterboard around the reveals.

I wouldn't bother insulating that bit above the window.
It's likely the rest of the walls have no insulation anyway.
Just plasterboard over it.
You can use insulated boards on the full wall if it's susceptible to cold or condensation.
While your down to bare bricks, now is the time to add any extra sockets if you need them.

Edit.
Just noticed you already have CWI.
Don't use loft insulation or rock wool as it's not suitable for walls due to not being waterproof.
Use a bit of celotex or other expanded foam if you can find any

as pablo says, use insulated boards.

you are creating an insulated box within a box.

thicker the better but use whats feasible both space wise vs affordability.

ridiculously good stuff.

every room we have remodeled so far in our house has the external wall thermal boarded.

If it's electrical sockets don't you need a qualified electrician to do the work, unless you are one of course.
What other type of sockets is it likely to be?
No you don't need a qualified electrician, you need a 'competent person'
Which means anyone capable of fixing a backbox on and putting the correct coloured wire in the correct hole, L, N, E.

Back