any one recommend a sat nav that has speed cam locations?

StrawDog

TK Veteran
hey chaps,

Can any one recommend a sat nav that has map updates and also more importantly speed cam locations, I am on the road all day and fook, I was out of the local area and blasted through a camera van, 3 points and a £100 down the swanny, I have a sat nav, an old binnatone that has really old speed cam data on it, (running igo8 from sd card) I didn't have the sound on, I do get a visual warning but never noticed it when leaving a 60mph zone for a 30mph and travelled through it at 40mph :(

I do update the maps etc. but it would be nice to have an up to date one that will warn me of where the static and mobile speed cameras are....

I've been looking at a Garmin Drive 50LM 5 Inch W.Europe UK & ROI Lifetime Maps, seems like it might do the trick but thought I'd just make a post first before committing to buy one in case there's something else out there that is the dogs.

Thanks

hey chaps,

Can any one recommend a sat nav that has map updates and also more importantly speed cam locations, I am on the road all day and fook, I was out of the local area and blasted through a camera van, 3 points and a £100 down the swanny, I have a sat nav, an old binnatone that has really old speed cam data on it, (running igo8 from sd card) I didn't have the sound on, I do get a visual warning but never noticed it when leaving a 60mph zone for a 30mph and travelled through it at 40mph :(

I do update the maps etc. but it would be nice to have an up to date one that will warn me of where the static and mobile speed cameras are....

I've been looking at a Garmin Drive 50LM 5 Inch W.Europe UK & ROI Lifetime Maps, seems like it might do the trick but thought I'd just make a post first before committing to buy one in case there's something else out there that is the dogs.

Thanks
Fed up of getting flashed by speed cameras mate that why you want one with speed camera detection lol

I was thinking of the old "radar" detector and the like but they are illegal no? so a sat nav that has mobile and fixed locations would be great :)

I was thinking of the old "radar" detector and the like but they are illegal no? so a sat nav that has mobile and fixed locations would be great :)
Just found this maybe of interest to you
A few years ago there was talk that detectorswith radar and laser detection may become illegal under proposed legislation, but this ban didn't take place - meaning that both laser/radar detectors and GPS safety camerasare still legal in the UK. ... Speed camera detectors are not legal in the Republic of Ireland.
Halfords Advice Centre | Camera Detectors Buyers Guide
https://www.halfords.com › technology

thanks for the replies, been reading and the road angel needs a subscription, a few people are saying that they are defunct now....so been over to fasttech and they have brand new ones for about £10.00, they cover the following...

• Warning mode: Voice alarm
  • Detection mode: Autoscan
  • Detection Range: 200-600m
  • Detection Angle: 360 degrees
  • Support Band: X, K, Ku, Ka, Laser, VG-2
  • X-band: 10.525GHz +/- 100MHz
  • K-band: 24.150GHz +/- 175MHz
  • Ku-band: 13.450GHz +/- 125MHz
  • Ka-band: 34.700GHz +/- 1300MHz
  • Laser Beam: 904mn +/- 33KMHz
  • VG-2: 11.150GHz +/- 175MHz
  • Voltage: DC 12V
  • Current: 150-250mA
  • Support English & Russian speaker

for the cost of it and them being brand new then I might give one a go, I've also downloaded a few apps for my android, but I've lost confidence as there's a cam that's not on the map which I know exists next to where I live...

thanks for the replies, been reading and the road angel needs a subscription, a few people are saying that they are defunct now....so been over to fasttech and they have brand new ones for about £10.00, they cover the following...

• Warning mode: Voice alarm
  • Detection mode: Autoscan
  • Detection Range: 200-600m
  • Detection Angle: 360 degrees
  • Support Band: X, K, Ku, Ka, Laser, VG-2
  • X-band: 10.525GHz +/- 100MHz
  • K-band: 24.150GHz +/- 175MHz
  • Ku-band: 13.450GHz +/- 125MHz
  • Ka-band: 34.700GHz +/- 1300MHz
  • Laser Beam: 904mn +/- 33KMHz
  • VG-2: 11.150GHz +/- 175MHz
  • Voltage: DC 12V
  • Current: 150-250mA
  • Support English & Russian speaker

for the cost of it and them being brand new then I might give one a go, I've also downloaded a few apps for my android, but I've lost confidence as there's a cam that's not on the map which I know exists next to where I live...
Sounds worth it pal if its going to point where cameras are and like speed zones ect

yeah thanks mate, I might give one a go like, for the cost of around about a tenner then what have I got to loose. (and I don't want any more points of course) I like the idea of the radar ones as it's the bloody mobile speed van that caught me out this time...

17-12-2018-17-11-44.jpg

yeah thanks mate, I might give one a go like, for the cost of around about a tenner then what have I got to loose. (and I don't want any more points of course) I like the idea of the radar ones as it's the bloody mobile speed van that caught me out this time...

17-12-2018-17-11-44.jpg
They are c***s those mobile ones lol

balls, would seem that all them ones that are sold via china or just fake and have no optical sensors inside them, someone has taking a few apart and they are all rubbish, some guy on you tube drives through about 3 mobile speed cams albeit in the usa and it never gave a warning.....hmmm....might have to go for a more expensive one from fleabay that has good reviews on youtube.....

As an Ex now retired delivery driver I feel your pain, I must have gave the bastards thousands over a long period of time but eventually I learned the cheapest device on the market is a lighter right foot and consonant awareness of the speed limit..:grin:

decided to give waze a try, it sounds as good as any and other people around you are using it they can report the camera vans and it's also got them all listed, like where they are, and it's free so I'll have a blast with it and report back, no pun intended....lololo

As an Ex now retired delivery driver I feel your pain, I must have gave the bastards thousands over a long period of time but eventually I learned the cheapest device on the market is a lighter right foot and consonant awareness of the speed limit..:grin:

yeah you know how it is though....lol that one moment i lost concentration....

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in wales and used Waze twice now. Once to france and again down to Gatwick and had no issues so far (No tickets anyway). All fixed & average speed cameras have been spot on but does rely on other users for mobile vans. It works a lot better in and around the city were there are a larger number of users...not so great amongst the Welsh hills but generally less vans here. Users can report where the police are sat, broken down vehicles and pot holes which is a nice touch.

Depends on your budget. I’ve tried both Garmin and Tom Tom and have always reverted back to Tom Tom. Checking on the which site the Tom Tom Go models have a better rating than the Garmin.
I don’t find much difference in between Garmin and Tom Tom and it’s all down to personal preference.
They all do much the same but some better than the others. I don’t think the price difference between the top and lower models is justified.

yeah thanks guys, going to use waze from now on if i'm out the area, I have had it for a while but wanted something that has mobile vans and there locations, how ever there looks like there's quite a lot of "Wazers" around me, over 150 so if i do venture out of the hood, then i'll just make sure i'm sticking to the speed of the road, I have also downloaded tomtom for my samsung and i'll have a play with them over the holidays.

I have tomtom speed cams app
speed cams by sygic
cam sam
waze

I'll see which one seems to be the best, thanks all :)

awesome! I can do the speed awareness course! no points!

Got the picture from them and boy is it border line close to not being able to read the plate, the light conditions are key in this picture....dayum!

on a side note, the best one's out that list that I find are the Tom Tom and the Camsam, fixed cams, even though they say they have mobile cams in the database they rarely show up, like waze, some one needs to spot one and report it.

I shall have a look at some more apps and maybe another satnav if I can find one, just thought I'd report in with my findings so far...

Back