Anyone been watching IPTV Sport without a VPN? - well your ISP will know all about it now....

basejumper

TK Veteran
By law ISP's have to keep a record of all our activity for 12 months. If you have been watching 3.00 p.m kick offs say your broadband usage will increase or spike during the match time. Now sport has been cancelled so has your spikes. Your ISP can easily check your history. What will they do next :unsure:

But can they actually prove anything as isp would spike watching Netflix continuesly I player YouTube??
It is the historic time of the spike though, just before kick off. My understanding is anyone suspected of watching illegal streaming can, and have had their broadband throttled.

My internet usage has doubled since the kids been home, Netflix, Youtube, Facetime calls and a bit of iptv. So in effect my spike is when the kids get up to when they go to bed.
Yes. But it is in your previous spikes where you can be caught out. Not what you are doing now. Your ISP has your records going back 12 months to interpret.

Yes. But it is in your previous spikes where you can be caught out. Not what you are doing now. Your ISP has your records going back 12 months to interpret.

Just a quickie, are you aware of any one historically who has been lettered or their door chapped regards spikes in their bband? Asking for a friend :flushed:

We know they have records of all your traffic on the network over the last 12 months. They can see it all.

But even then will the just randomly throttle your BB without informing you of why.

Before being able to watch 3pm ko's I'd routinely flick Soccer Saturday on at 3pm to watch the games unfolding and to miss the pundits talking crap. For all my isp knows I could be streaming a legit sky (sky go, now tv) subscription to watch that at 3pm every Saturday.

As it happens, I tend to watch from noon till evening on a Saturday so there wouldn't be a 3pm spike, but I do get where you're coming from.

It's my guess that every ppv event that I watch normally early hours if in America or 2300 in the Uk they would see a certain pattern in spikes. This being the case and my tv provider knows full well I haven't ordered it. I would've thought they'd have contacted me by now, that's all

Just a quickie, are you aware of any one historically who has been lettered or their door chapped regards spikes in their bband? Asking for a friend :flushed:
Yes I've had two warning letters which stopped when I switched providers. The ISPs can throttle suspected illegal streaming because the Premier league's original court order told them they had to during live play only. If you are watching the build up to the game and the screen goes off a few minutes after kick off your broadband is being throttled by your ISP. When the punditry comes on at half time they have to stop throttling because it is not live play. I've had that happen to me.

Yes I've had two warning letters which stopped when I switched providers. The ISPs can throttle suspected illegal streaming because the Premier league's original court order told them they had to during live play only. If you are watching the build up to the game and the screen goes off a few minutes after kick off your broadband is being throttled by your ISP. When the punditry comes on at half time they have to stop throttling because it is not live play. I've had that happen to me.

I honestly thought you never had providers, as you said all the stuff you had on your z8 or whatever you use, was all for free. In fact I think someone replied "yeah but I just don't download shite like you do"
As I say in all the years of c/s and now iptv I have never known anyone let alone myself to have had a warning from our isp's
Live fights are live fights so my guess is that it's pretty much the same as most isp's will only spike when the event starts, normally ppv boxing is from 0200 -0600 but most will hit the on button at 5am. So if that weren't like a red rag to a bull I don't know what is tbh

Last edited:
I honestly thought you never had providers, as you said all the stuff you had on your z8 or whatever you use, was all for free. In fact I think someone replied "yeah but I just don't download shite like you do"
As I say in all the years of c/s and now iptv I have never known anyone let alone myself to have had a warning from our isp's
Live fights are live fights so my guess is that it's pretty much the same as most isp's will only spike when the event starts, normally ppv boxing is from 0200 -0600 but most will hit the on button at 5am. So if that weren't like a red rag to a bull I don't know what is tbh
See this post:
UK 'Piracy Warnings' Are Coming This Month; Here's How it Works * TorrentFreak

Have had warnings from isp numerous times but that's only because brother stupidly downloaded torrents without VPN.
I was using BiTTorrent to download files with a VPN that didn't have a kill switch. The VPN dropped carrier but BiTTorrent was still open. :sick:

Live fights were not covered by the original Premier league court order - just live football. So your ISP has not been told to throttle your broadband during those events.

Yep, released January the 11th and coming that month. So who have all had warnings apart from yourself and @channelking
There is a page on Torrentfreak telling you what to do if you receive a warning letter.

There are two completely separate subjects which you just can't understand. One concerns copyrighted material and the other is live streaming. :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:
unless something has changed an internet provider & can see how much bandwidth a client has used & when it was used but they are not permitted to look any deeper into what you were doing with that bandwidth be it watching &/or downloading as that would be violating the data protection act... correct me if I'm wrong!
They can suspect what your doing & send out scary letters but that should be all that they can do without specific permissions being granted.

unless something has changed an internet provider & can see how much bandwidth a client has used & when it was used but they are not permitted to look any deeper into what you were doing with that bandwidth be it watching &/or downloading as that would be violating the data protection act... correct me if I'm wrong!
They can suspect what your doing & send out scary letters but that should be all that they can do without needing special permissions being granted.

You may well be correct sir, I was just trying to get a flavour for how many on here have had such a letter. Given that many of us on here go about our viewing in our own ways I'm surprised something announced in January and happening that month never seemed to have been flagged up on here with all out tech minded members.

You may well be correct sir, I was just trying to get a flavour for how many on here have had such a letter. Given that many of us on here go about our viewing in our own ways I'm surprised something announced in January and happening that month never seemed to have been flagged up on here with all out tech minded members.
If I remember rightly some one did post some time back about getting a letter from their isp stating what they had downloaded and what site was used was a new release movie they downloaded lol

I think unless we see any form of mass culling then I ain't bothering my arse about what's apparently started in the month of Jan.
My guess is there would've been at the very least some sort of threads on here if they were actually winning their battle. Maybe all the staff are furloughed and that's why no letters are going out.....just saying
It may help if you actually read the links I have posted. The January link you quote: UK 'Piracy Warnings' Are Coming This Month; Here's How it Works * TorrentFreak is for warning letters regarding copyright infringements which is not live streaming.

The live streams is covered by the new 'super blocking' order which started on July 15 last year. Premier League renews super-blocking order: reports

If you read the 'super blocking' link it quotes "No documents or details relating to the latest injunction have yet been published"
We are in the dark as to what will happen or what ISPs individual interpretation of the wording will mean. But for certain ISPs have detailed historical records of our broadband usage spikes which have now altered now that the Premier league football has stopped.

Who knows but I am sure whether for illegal live streaming or copyrighted material we could see tougher actions. Hope not but they wont stop.

I never received warning through post only via emails.
You will have received an “educational alert” same as me.

UK ISPs Agree to Send Out Music & Movie Piracy Warnings * TorrentFreak

Part of it says:

"Even though the language used in the letters will reportedly increase in tone, there will be no punishments, and after receipt of a fourth warning no account will receive a fifth." :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back