Anyone's internet speed dire

channelking

TK Veteran
Few days now and been getting less than 10mb. I get people home and all that but its shocking speed and doesnt look like improving.

Anyone else having dire speeds?

Get VPN

pupuqiop

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
No change to the usual speeds here on WiFi. Noticed at work my mobile internet (usually a woeful 2mbps) is up to a whopping 6mbps, which I guess is the flipside of everyone being at home using their WiFi.

channelking

TK Veteran
Ye indeed virgin but I was wondering if others were having speed issues. Waste of time speaking to them just bloody fob you off and come with the the usual excuses.

Funny as not had speed issues from VM for quite some time until last few days.

panorama93

Registered
Few days now and been getting less than 10mb. I get people home and all that but its shocking speed and doesnt look like improving.

Anyone else having dire speeds?
I like Virgin Media for their superfast broadband and customer service. In London have had VM for over 20 years and currently on 350Mbps with VM Super Hub 3.0 Router. Recently had intermittent problems for weeks with router losing wired ethernet whilst wireless wifi was ok. Did some research online and found that this router cannot cope with 10+ devices, and with the lockdown, working from home, phones, tvs, laptops, ipads and kids gaming it quickly falls over. After I submitted an online complaint to VM, their Customer Resolutions Team awarded me a £15 monthly 'loyalty discount' putting me on their 'new customer' tariff for a year. The £180 saved went towards the cost of a new super duper Asus Gaming Router that does everything except make coffee! The VM router in modem mode is now connected to the Asus router that distributes excellent ethernet and wifi broadband all over the house. EU-standard gigabit broadband is widely available in Dublin where I switched from VM 1gb €55 month to Vodafone 1gb €25 month. But with Brexit looming I cannot see the UK adopting 1gb broadband as standard any time soon.

Last edited:

bazcfc1

VIP Member
Forum Supporter
I'm supposed to get upto 70mbps with sly theyve finally decide to say after months of nagging bt been backwards and forwarda digging up street ect that the line into my house can only handle 40mbps wtf been paying forn70mbps and getting 36mbps they've said csn leave for free but either way can't get decent speeds and won't put a new line in lol

channelking

TK Veteran
I'm supposed to get upto 70mbps with sly theyve finally decide to say after months of nagging bt been backwards and forwarda digging up street ect that the line into my house can only handle 40mbps wtf been paying forn70mbps and getting 36mbps they've said csn leave for free but either way can't get decent speeds and won't put a new line in lol
You should demand refund/credit for false advertising from them mate.

They duped you for saying you would get this speed but in actual fact you were never going to get that speed.

I personally dont see need to change router either. Dont have much issues with router, issue with speeds is down to VM and their network and infrastructure struggling big time.

jigger121

TK Veteran
I have noticed that VM needs a powered splitter to cope with the demand, since I put one on in my house and the old one too, it made a massive difference. But that could be just me lol

panorama93

Registered
I have noticed that VM needs a powered splitter to cope with the demand, since I put one on in my house and the old one too, it made a massive difference. But that could be just me lol
Yes powered splitters make a huge difference when distributing ethernet broadband.

freck

Registered
500mb internet. Bloody heck man what you do with all that speed :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I have virgin media 500mbps and get every mb out of it thanks to my netgear Orbi system.Just put the virgin router in modem mode and the orbi does the rest.I can have all tvs streaming 1080 content at the one time...no probs with 4k streams either.The Orbi is the magic inthe setup.....virgin router is brutal.

Toddy2

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
I live in the sticks and it's only recently that we got anything over 17mpbs fibre! But improvements have been made and now with 65mpbs , cant get VM but got them with phone, the phone signal has been dodgy over the last week and I can honestly say VM customer service is shite! I contacted them by chat! Explained everything to the operative and she said a technical helper would phone me back to help! I said I would give the land line as I had zero signal! She replied no they will call me on my mobile and signed off! I was without signal for two days! I chatted again and asked for PAC numbers for both sims I have with them! Checking coverage for other providers

pugsteve

Registered
yup ive noticed too, im only on 100mb as its pretty much me by myself for 4days of the week untill my daughter comes, but i kept getting loads of lag on games and netflix, checked my speeds i was getting 20mb max , spoke too them and complained and they reduced my bill for 46 down too 33 a month and says i can wait 1month and reapply as a new customer too get the higher package at a cheaper rate so im gonna go for the faster speeds end of this month!