App Boxes

mike123

VIP Member
TK Supporter
Anybody tried app boxes. If you don't know what they are they are basicly a server within a server for plex. It is totally private for you and people you invite to share with.

They are more expensive just wondered if anybody had taken the plunge before I splash out.

I got one, you basically control who you want to add , so you share with family and friends and maybe share costs.

I think plex you can add upto 100 people. Your providor may limit how many people can watch at once (connections).

Content is probably from a shared drive with other appboxes/shares

They also put limits on transcoding , which is always needed when people are using low spec client devices like firesticks etc.

They also put limits on transcoding , which is always needed when people are using low spec client devices like firesticks etc.
Shouldn't be using transcoding with plex for any reason. Plex is a good test on how good your device actually Is.

Any device will handle plex whether 1st gen firestick or any other low end spec device
Of. course but lots of devices don't support all video/ audio codecs and the plex server will be required to transcode some video content , subtitles often need transcoding as well. Which is why, as I posted earlier , a lot of "app Box" providers , place limits on transcoding.

Believe most providers won't allow transcoding for 4k due to pressure it puts on the server.

But other content can be transcoded especially if you have older devices or slow Internet speeds. But this will be dependent on the providers.

Any device will handle plex whether 1st gen firestick or any other low end spec device
Most should but if they start transcoding you are at risk of getting kicked off the server. You should play evreything with settings like this

Adjust automatically = off
Home streaming = max
Remote streaming = max
Play smaller streams @ orignal = on
Remote streaming quality= original

If you have your settings like that and they buffer you either have not got download speeds or your device can't handle plex.

Last edited:
Am not following you Mike , are you saying that people with low spec devices shouldn't use plex ?
No they can use them of course. But if some some reason it starts transcoding some suppliers will kick you off the server because as mentioned it makes the server work harder.

Although if you have 1 person transcoding HD on a server it will have a small affect. However if a supplier has 100 transcoding HD even it will have a huge affect.

The good thing about plex there should be no need to worry about codecs it's all done for you by the server owner.

But like bazz has said most devices will handle HD .

Last edited:
Most should but if they start transcoding you are at risk of getting kicked off the server. You should play evreything with settings like this

Adjust automatically = off
Home streaming = max
Remote streaming = max
Play smaller streams @ orignal = on
Remote streaming quality= original

If you have your settings like that and they buffer you either have not got download speeds or your device can't handle plex.
I found also setting for passthrough if you set to HDMI it plays remux files flawlessly as its disabled by default.

I set passthrough aswell. I was using a remux file yesterday plex was using 36 meg of bandwidth on 4k it was 68 meg. Films like ready player one use upto 85 meg. The server owner can just disable transcoding if they like.

I set passthrough aswell. I was using a remux file yesterday plex was using 36 meg of bandwidth on 4k it was 68 meg. Films like ready player one use upto 85 meg. The server owner can just disable transcoding if they like.
A lot of the app box’s come with x amount of simultaneous transcodes so if you’re buying one of them just for a handful of people then transcoding shouldn’t be a problem

A lot of the app box’s come with x amount of simultaneous transcodes so if you’re buying one of them just for a handful of people then transcoding shouldn’t be a problem
Yes they are very expensive though I saw one it was around £32 a month that allowed 4 people to transcode.

Yes they are very expensive though I saw one it was around £32 a month that allowed 4 people to transcode.
Ill dm you the link for one I used to use. They do 4 user/transcodes for 20usd a month, 8 for 30usd and 16 for 45 usd. There’s no 4K on the 20usd one though

Last edited:
Back