Are Maplin Electronics being disingenuous?

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recently spotted this product (ZooStorm 10.2inch Windows 7 Netbook) on Maplins Website & as I am familiar with the product I thought their description was ever so slightly disingenuous.

The OS on the system was described as "Windows 7" in both the description heading & the module itself but in fact it ships with "Windows 7 Starter".

I decided to use their "Ask a question" option on the product page FAQ section & asked

"Is it not correct to say that this Netbook comes with Windows 7 STARTER edition? Is it not a bit disingenuous to omit the word STARTER?"

A Mr Daniel Hirst from their Technical Department replied via email as follows

Hello,

Many thanks for your feedback, we appreciate your comments and look forward to your valued custom in the future.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Hirst
Technical Department
Maplin Electronics Ltd

I thought that reply was ever so condescending so I decided to ask the question a second time, only this time I asked it slightly differently & used a different name & email address to pose the question.

"Which version of Windows 7 does this Netbook come with?"

This was the reply from Mr Daniel Hirst

To: 'helplinedirect@gmail.com'
Cc: Maplin Electronics Technical Helpdesk
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:32 AM
Subject: ZooStorm 10.2inch Windows 7 Netbook

Your FAQ Question: Which version of Windows 7 does this Netbook come with?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Maplin Technical Support,

This has Windows 7 Starter.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Hirst
Technical Department
Maplin Electronics Ltd

OK I thought, at least he came straight out and said it "STARTER" lol

I then checked their product page again and noticed that my question had not been included in their FAQ's section for that particular product.

I decided to email Mr Hirst yet again to ask the following (again using my second identity).

Is there any specific reason as to why you have not included my question and your answer in "The ask a question" section for this product on your Website?

This is the second time I've put this question to Maplin but it still hasn't appeared on your Website?

His reply was:

To: 'HelplineDirect'
Cc: Maplin Electronics Technical Helpdesk
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:56 PM
Subject: RE: ZooStorm 10.2inch Windows 7 Netbook

Hello,

Not all FAQs are posted to the website.

As the website states:

You can submit a question to gain further technical information that is not currently shown on this page. You will receive a response via email and if your question is appropriate it may appear on this page with the answer. Please make sure you enter a valid email address below so we can get back to you.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Hirst
Technical Department
Maplin Electronics Ltd

Jaysus I thought, you really don't want the potential purchaser to know that this product comes with Windows 7 STARTER do you?

So I decided to give it one more lash :rolleyes:

I asked the following

"Thank you for your reply Daniel,

The significance of omitting the word "Starter" appears to be intentional on Maplins behalf & your refusal to post this important detail even after it has been brought to your attention is further evidence that the omission is intentional. In fact it could even be construed as a effort by Maplin to mislead the potential purchaser.

Thankfully there are many other forums where this particular case can be discussed.

Regards,

"

His final reply was:

Hello,

This information is due to be added.

However, it is going to be added to the module itself, rather than an FAQ.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Hirst
Technical Department
Maplin Electronics Ltd

Product Details Prior to my little rant:

maplinbeforerant.jpg

Product Details After my little rant:

maplinafterrant.jpg

Mr Daniel Hirst Technical Department Maplin Electronics Ltd had to have the final say of course, he would not include my question in their FAQ's section but at least he decided that it was best not to push the issue any further and so included the correct description for the OS in the details section.

I know too that experienced users would probably know that a Netbook would come with the starter edition of Windows 7 but not all run of the mil purchasers would, nor would they fully understand the implications\restrictions originally associated with Windows 7 Starter Edition.

Ah well, at least the prospective buyer will now know exactly what they are getting :)

Link to actual product:

-

Last edited:
Yep Fairplay to you G, my daughter bought a netbook and as you say it only came with windows 7 starter, mind you it did just say OS windows 7 lol

well done Gman, sometimes it pays to be a persistent pain in the arse and force these guys to give the correct info.

Back