Astonishing win for Harbinger

joekingman

VIP Member
TK Supporter
Harbinger_2480570.jpg

Stoute four-year-old storms to record-breaking victory at Ascot

Sat 24th July

Harbinger (4/1) produced one of the most eye-catching performances in living memory when winning the King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes by 11 lengths.

The four-year-old, Sir Michael Stoute's second-string behind 8-11 favourite Workforce, went to the front with over a furlong to go and simply went further and further clear under Olivier Peslier.

The Frenchman had stalked Derby winner Workforce and Irish Derby hero Cape Blanco into the straight as pacemaker Confront gave them a tow.

But with the principles already under strong pressure Peslier said 'go' on the rapidly improving colt and the response was impressive.

Workforce, the choice of first jockey Ryan Moore, quickly curled up and faded out of contention and although Cape Blanco (9/2) plugged on to win the race for second place, it was all Harbinger for the final 200 yards as he raced away to a new track record.

"You can imagine how I felt in the last furlong when I saw the big screen and I could see the others so far behind," Peslier said. "The horse today is the king, he is a wonderful horse.

Champion

"I knew he was very good, but today he was flying and won so well - he's very good.

"He travelled the way I wanted and he kept going, I didn't have to ask him anything. He was just flying. He is a champion."

Injury had curtailed the winner's three-year-old season and although the Dansili colt had collected three races in 2010 he had still not contended for a Group One prize.

However, any doubts that he might not make the grade were dispelled in no uncertain terms, handing owners Highclere Thoroughbred Racing another memorable success.

"Olivier was just cantering, he travelled so well and he was looking good from a long way out," said Stoute. "He was a decent three-year-old and was impressive in winning the Gordon Stakes at Goodwood.

"He was developing into a nice horse and then he had a blip in the Voltigeur, but he bounced back well in the John Porter this season and has gone on from there.

"He has a great mind, he's very good mentally, which helps you to develop him. It was a superb performance.

"We'll take him home and see where we are. I always said we'd think about his autumn programme and work back from there. We'll consider the Arc."

Aidan O'Brien, trainer of Cape Blanco, said: "We're delighted with him, he ran a great race.

"Everyone wanted to see the two Derby winners running, they went together and there were two very good horses in third and fourth (Daryakana).

"They went a solid gallop and it was a great performance by the winner. We wouldn't mind stepping back a bit (in distance) with him now. He could go to York, but we'll have to see."

Meanwhile, Stoute blamed the fast ground for the demise of Workforce, who had been so impressive when winning at Epsom in June.

"He didn't switch off like he normally does. You could see going into Swinley Bottom that he was keen and not relaxed enough," he said.

"The ground was too quick and it's pretty fast out there but make no mistake - it was only his fourth race and he will bounce back. He's a young horse and he'll get tougher.

"We'll know more in the morning but he seems OK at the moment."

For the record, the veteran Youmzain finished third in the race for a second time, ahead of French raider Daryakana.

Back