Audio drivers for built in screen speakers?

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
I was down my neighbors today to re-install Windows XP on their home computer because their were tons of viruses on the system. They forgot the password to the system so i thought instead of trying to login to see how bad the damage was that i may aswell just re-install the OS, which is also what they asked me to do. It originally had Windows XP Media Centre, but i installed Windows XP professional as its the only CD i had and i also had the key to it *cough cough*.

I DID have the drivers in mind, however since i could not get in, i thought i may aswell just get on with the reinstall. Didnt occur to me that perhaps the Administrator account in Safe Mode may not have been password protected.

So re-install done. Installed Firefox, MSN, Avira AntiVirus, then went back home as I didnt have the ethernet driver so coulf not access the internet. Before I left i checked dxdiag for the system information and found the following:

fujitsu siemens
p5Sd2-fm

I then used my own computer to download the drivers and to take them back on my USB drive. I was puzzled because Google kept referring me to ASUS p5sd2-fm, Its as if ASUS's motherboard may have been used in this model, but i couldnt find this model on ASUS's website. I did somehow manage to find the ethernet driver, went back, installed it and Setted up the TalkTalk router [Thank god they had the disc, it worked wonders]

Internet was then working, but problem is this, the only think i could not accomplish is installing the correct drivers, the support for this motherboard was pretty much dead, unless i was not searching hard enough. My neighbor wanted to used the built in speakers on the keyboard like he previously used too before the reboot, however i just could not find the right drivers to install. When i checked device manager, under the audio tree, there was no yellow marks to shows any driver issues, so this got me thinking, what am i supposed to do now? Do i need drivers for the audio card in the system? If so how will i determine which driver it is without there being any signs of problems in device manager?

Note: When accessing Volume Control, it would say they are no mixer drivers available.

So just for personal knowledge, i would like to know what i could have done differently to have solved this problem, i had all sorts of things in mind regarding how i will either find or first backup the drivers, but i was a little rushed so just did what i could. My neighbor isnt too bothered about the sound at the moment, as his main worry was that his son should be able to access the internet and get on with his school work, which reminds me i've also installed Microsoft Office for him. My neighbor was very grateful for my help, however i'd like to fix this issue as well and if i have some spare time later, i may just go back and fix this if I know how i am supposed to get the sound to work. (y)

Last edited:
My neighbor wanted to used the built in speakers on the keyboard like he previously used too

In your post title you refer to screen speakers but later in the post you say keyboard speakers? Can you clarify?

What could you have done:

1. You could have used one of the many boot discs available that allow to remove passwords to get into the system (Active@ Boot Disk would be my choice and it can be got from the same place you got your *cough*).

2. You could have caddied their hard drive & connected it to your PC and backed up all the drivers using a free program called Double Driver This neat little Prog lets you backup & restore drivers from the system you run it on but it also has a "Browse" button which allows you to backup drivers from any source. I love it too because it's portable so doesn't need to be installed.

Ahh Cheers GMan, and yes i have just noticed i said Keyboard Speakers, but i meant the speakers built in the screen. I'm glad i know this now. I would have used a boot disk but in my haste to do the job i did not consider it, eventhough i knew perfectly well that it'll take some time to get the job done quickly, but i was under quite a bit of pressure from my neighbor as he was constantly asking me to reboot it and i just had abit of time today to go over. I have been using Driver Genius in the past but now its just beginning to annoy the crap out of me. Excellent information as always, appreciate it.

Maybe it's the monitor driver you need to track down in order to get those speakers working then?

I would say it is the monitor driver as well like Gman496 has posted. Alternatively I have also seen that you sometimes need the software / utilty for the device for it to work. If the monitor came with the PC it should be download able from the Fujitsu site, if not the monitor manufacturers site.

That wont be an option drbessco, i'm extremely busy and wont get time to go out and check it again, the CD i had was with Service Pack 3, their broadband connection wasnt that great at all, so sitting around waiting for a Service Pack 3 update would've taken all night to be fair. I did take a look at the screen label but it wasnt too specific on the make but did get the model down. This thread was made for my own info on how i could have done it better. Appreciate all the suggestions. :)

Back