AVG Antivirus 2011 Is Rogue Antivirus FakeXPA

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s nothing short of common practice for rogue antivirus to copy the brands and elements of visual identity of legitimate security products in order to masquerade as genuine products.

The latest example was highlighted by the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, and involves an old fake antivirus: Rogue:Win32/FakeXPA.

298.jpg

Rogue:Win32/FakeXPA now goes by as Rogue:Win32/FakeXPA, and as users can see in the image at the top of this article, attackers went as far as copying the actual logo for AVG.

“This is not to be confused with the legitimate antivirus product from AVG – we’ve reached out to AVG, and they are aware the rogue is using their brand.

“FakeXPA's developers are hoping you will confuse it with the real AVG though, as they've even gone to the extent of borrowing AVG's logo for their own user interface.

“The change of name and user interface caused us to examine this variant’s behavior in more detail, and update the description in our malware encyclopedia accordingly,” Wood revealed.

FakeXPA as AVG Antivirus 2011 bombard users with a range of notifications, dialogs, popups, and balloons trying to convince them that their machine is infected with malware.

Of course, the rogue antivirus will only remove the inexistent malicious code once users are tricked into paying for a useless license.

This is another example of social engineering techniques associated with rogue AVs, designed to fool victims into parting with their cash for peace of mind, because the fake AV offers no protection whatsoever.

In addition to relentlessly nagging users with threats of inexistent malware infections, FakeXPA also cripples their browsing experience in Windows.

“It creates a registry entry to set iesafemode.exe as the debugger for a number of common web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and Safari. This registry entry is normally used by software debuggers,” Wood added.

“When a user attempts to launch any of these browsers, a copy of the malware will be run instead. Renaming the browser’s executable and running this instead allows it to be launched without interference from the malware.”

For example, attempting to launch Internet Explorer gets FakeXPA to launch its own version of the browser, one that’s apparently running in Emergency Mode.

Users that attempt to visit legitimate sites belonging to security solution providers will find that the URLs are blocked by the malware which tries to prevent consumers from removing it.

I downloaded that free avg on my new pc and had problems that could be why. Thankfully i managed to sort out my real avg licence and installed my origional one and touch wood not had a problem

you need to be careful when downloading software, could be a bogus one, i got the AVG 9 and not had a problem so far, im going to upgrade to AVG Internet Security 2011 when i format my PC after my studies

Yes ive had avg prof for yrs! and never had a problem, but when i got the new pc i just couldngt get the licence to work so downloaded the new 2011 ( or what i thought was new avg)but when you look at the pic above it looks nothing like my avg - maybe coz its the prof one that i pay a 2 yr licence for or maybe coz its fake its slightly different.! But that was one of the reasons i was getting the blue screen something to do with avg. but as said all ok now! all my pcs are protected with avg.
Problem is so many people get sucked in by this fake anti virus stuff and then wonder why they have pc problems. if in doubt ask!

Back