Backing up Image

Hi guys,
When you back up an image does that mean all files, settings, lines etc are saved?
Also where would I save this? currently I have a hdd plugged into box for recording movies so could save it there but didn't know if I had to elsewhere?
Thanks

Hi guys,
When you back up an image does that mean all files, settings, lines etc are saved?
Also where would I save this? currently I have a hdd plugged into box for recording movies so could save it there but didn't know if I had to elsewhere?
Thanks
Hiya.
Are you using vix ?
If so there's 2 types of backups there's one where it just backs up your settings and the other where it makes a complete backup of your device.
And on vix you go to the vix menu and see image manager I think it is and you will see them in there.
And it tells you above where the backup has been saved which is usually your HDD.
So you can just ftp over and copy the backup if you want.

I am using OpenATV, I know how to back up the image but just wasn't sure as to what is backed up (files, settings etc) and where it is backed up to.

I am using OpenATV, I know how to back up the image but just wasn't sure as to what is backed up (files, settings etc) and where it is backed up to.
Ah OK
I don't know what options you get for backups on ATV but if there's 2 is will be the same as vix one for settings and the other for full backup

An image is quite literally that, an exact copy of your box and it's current state at the time of creation.

For an image, it is best to put it on a usb device which you leave out the box once done. This can then be used at a later date if needed to re-flash your box without the need for any setting up again.

When you start the backup process it will ask you where you want the image to be created. Select the correct device.

Yes the same as Vix, backup image and can also backup settings.

An image is quite literally that, an exact copy of your box and it's current state at the time of creation.
For an image, it is best to put it on a usb device which you leave out the box once done. This can then be used at a later date if needed to re-flash your box without the need for any setting up again.
When you start the backup process it will ask you where you want the image to be created. Select the correct device.
Yes the same as Vix, backup image and can also backup settings.

Thanks Wooshman - so I am using your image which is on a usb and no longer plugged in to the box (hdd is constantly plugged in for recording, timeshift) but this wont contain my line info will it? So will I need to reinsert the to save a back up or by inserting the usb will it reflash my box?

Correct. ( EDIT: you actually asked two questions and not one but I think I covered it below)

Personally I have multiple images on one usb stick by renaming the zgemma folder (which is the one it will try and flash from) to something like zgemma-clean, zgemma-wooshbuild, zgemma-15-01-2016 And then when you create your image on the stick is will just be called zgemma. It will also create another folder too but you can delete that. Now when you plug your stick in it will flash from the zgemma folder. Rename the folders as you need them.

Also, if you want it to automatically flash with the stick plugged in, open the zgemma folder and look for a file called noforce and rename it to force

Have a go, whats the worst that can happen?

Last edited:
So the box just ignores every other file contained on the usb except the one solely named "zgemma" ?

Yep, which is how you can keep lots of different images on the stick.

If your box is working with any problems and you have it all setup just how you want it, now is the time to create your image. Once done you can bugger about with whatever you want to and it only takes 2 mins to put everything back to how it was using your newly created image.

Bit of advice:
Whenever I create an image I always test it works before doing anything else. This way you know you have a good working image. Then I start playing. If I like my changes I create another image and so on.

Yep, which is how you can keep lots of different images on the stick.

If your box is working with any problems and you have it all setup just how you want it, now is the time to create your image. Once done you can bugger about with whatever you want to and it only takes 2 mins to put everything back to how it was using your newly created image.

Bit of advice:
Whenever I create an image I always test it works before doing anything else. This way you know you have a good working image. Then I start playing. If I like my changes I create another image and so on.

So now the fun begins........ !

Hi. I just made a full backup to USB. Changed noforce file to force. Tried deleting all but zgemma folder and not deleting anything but box won't reflash. It just starts up as normal. Any ideas please? Thanks

Back