Barton has a pop at England & Barry

noelyf

VIP Member
JoeyBarton460.jpg

Thursday, 7 April 2011

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has launched a scathing attack on England's World Cup hopes and dismissed Gareth Barry as a 'teacher's pet'.

In an outspoken assessment of the state of the national team, the in-form Barton once again championed his own cause and in particular, pointed to Barry's inclusion in Fabio Capello's squad as an indication of its current malaise.

He told French magazine So Foot: 'Honestly, I think I'm the best [English midfielder]. Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players... well, Jack Wilshere isn't bad, but Frank Lampard's on the way down and Steven Gerrard's been injured a lot.

'Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup? If you watch the fourth goal, when [Mesut] Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.

'Barry's got a very good agent. He's also discreet and always agrees with the manager. He's like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly don't lose any sleep when I play against him.
'We English will play the next 50 World Cups and we will never win one.

'The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.'

Barton also had a word of warning for his club as they attempt to thrash out a deal to keep him at St James' Park.

The 28-year-old was understood to be ready to put pen to paper on a new deal in January when Tyneside was stunned as striker Andy Carroll was sold to Liverpool for £35million.

Both the player and the Magpies have repeatedly spoken of their hopes of striking a deal since, although they are currently at odds over the length of the proposed contract.

However, the former Manchester City player, who has been in superb form for Newcastle this season after coming to terms with the problems which have blighted his career to date, insists he will only stay if he feels the club is moving forward, and that means also tying up the futures of the likes of Jose Enrique, Cheick Tiote and skipper Kevin Nolan.

Spanish full-back Enrique, 25, has been linked with a move away from St James' for some time after excelling in the Barclays Premier League following a difficult start on Tyneside, while Nolan scored his 12th goal of the season in Saturday's 4-1 victory over Wolves.

Ivory Coast international Tiote has proved to be one of the signings of the season and was rewarded with a new six and a half-year contract in February just six months after his arrival from FC Twente as the club attempted to demonstrate its desire to build for the future.

Barton voiced his concerns in the wake of Carroll's departure and was told the Magpies would not become a selling club, but he remains unconvinced.

He said: 'I don't know if I believe them. I told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend. But I'm going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick Tiote and Jose Enrique stay.
'If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire.'

dislike due to the footballer, i dont like him one bit. Funny old story ex city boy, and another city boy banged up at the moment. If your a thug you should not wear the england shirt whether you are Rooney or Terry, the same applies to everyone.

agree with him about barry glad Liverpool didnt buy him the only drawback being is it caused Xabi to leave for madrid

dislike due to the footballer, i dont like him one bit.

I dont like the player myself j4v3D, but I dont agree with disliking the post because you dont like the footballer.

dislike due to the footballer,

Not a good way to use the like/dislike system j4v3d.........:eyebrow: but each to there own, Noel will beat you to death with the dislikes button when he reads your post LOL.

Back