Battery

36red

Hi all

Is it okay to use a battery with more cca than the one already fitted/
Ford Fiesta 1.4 2008 currently has Ford battery 43Ah 390A.
Due to small daily trips one a day 4 miles each way the battery had gone flat.
Got a jump start and ran the engine for 1 hour and its fine now, was told to run it for longer so it could re-charge.
Looked for battery locally and they wanted like £75 when the same thing is £45 on ebay.
Just thought a battery the same dimesnions but with a bit more oomph may be better now we are in winter weather.
Thoughts?

Yes, CCA is cold cranking amps,
Basically how much power it can give to turn over the starter,
A larger CCA is fine.
Have a look at eurocarparts , they always have discount codes available,
My van sat for 9 months last year so needed a battery when I came back last month, £50 ish, 1.3 diesel, and it's bigger ah and CCA than your battery.

Just enter your reg Euro Car Parts | Car Parts Online & In Store – FREE UK Delivery

Sometimes makers use a small battery and motor factors would offer a higher bigger battery which is handy in winter when battery is at its lowest point.

Cars need a run to keep things going and your battery reached end of life so needed replacing.

053 possibly and 075 with more umph.

yeah I think 063 is the same specs but if 075 will fit dimension wise then might get one of them off ebay where its delivered now we are in lockdown as I guess motor factors are now closed?

Just out of interest take a look at the battery weights. I buy a number of batteries for plant equipment and you can get batteries from oversea that say they are a higher amp/h but we buy brands such as varta and although they are slightly lower rated they weigh much more and last far longer. You could also take a look at a battery saver solar panel for £10-15 and leave it in the window of the car plugged into the ciggy lighter.

Wont work on old battery 2008,needs a new one.Surprised factors are closed as vital services and open over here.
Cig lighter is normally dead when key out of ignition.
075 is about 2 inches longer than 063

Hi all

Is it okay to use a battery with more cca than the one already fitted/
Ford Fiesta 1.4 2008 currently has Ford battery 43Ah 390A.
Due to small daily trips one a day 4 miles each way the battery had gone flat.
Got a jump start and ran the engine for 1 hour and its fine now, was told to run it for longer so it could re-charge.
Looked for battery locally and they wanted like £75 when the same thing is £45 on ebay.
Just thought a battery the same dimesnions but with a bit more oomph may be better now we are in winter weather.
Thoughts?
I have had the same problem last week with the cold weather had to use the jump leads a few times,I have a 1.4 corsa and bought a charger,removed the battery from the car and left it for 6 hours on charge and its been fine since.
Maypole MP7404 4A Compact Battery Charger 12V

yeah I think 063 is the same specs but if 075 will fit dimension wise then might get one of them off ebay where its delivered now we are in lockdown as I guess motor factors are now closed?
if you are in England motor factors are still open for click and collect
eurocarparts are round my way anyway.

063 be plenty for a little 1.4 petrol, thats what I have in my 1.3 diesel, its a Corsa C running gear and engine.

4 mlies E/W daily is more than enough to charge the battery.
For weeks and months at a time I regularly drive for less than 1 mile E/W and even in past two weeks of below zero temps I've had no trouble and I'm fairly sure the battery is from 2008 when car was built.
I'd be looking at a duff connection or alternator misbehaving

Got the radio code for radio when the smaller battery is fitted?

Battery is FECKED as you get slow cranking of starter motor + extra limits with lights heated rear window and wipers going car gets a heart attack and dies

4 mlies E/W daily is more than enough to charge the battery.
For weeks and months at a time I regularly drive for less than 1 mile E/W and even in past two weeks of below zero temps I've had no trouble and I'm fairly sure the battery is from 2008 when car was built.
I'd be looking at a duff connection or alternator misbehaving
when a battery gets under a certain level the cells die, and cant be brought back,
not in an easy way anyway, at £40 for a battery its not worth the hassle
its like my battery died last year simply by sitting and then a few days of cold weather killed it,
I tried charging it overnight, then a 60mile round trip I had to do, then another overnight trickle, it was just dead

We found before there was an economy one and a premium one and that was the difference,what price for an 075 i wonder

Running any extras in car like hi fi multi speakers and subs lol

We found before there was an economy one and a premium one and that was the difference,what price for an 075 i wonder

Running any extras in car like hi fi multi speakers and subs lol
and therein lies another issue,
folks think that because they are running more electrics, like subs etc, they need a bigger ah battery,
then, they end up with burnt out alternators, because they cant handle the charging
not usually an issue just going up a few ah, but it can happen, especially if the alternator has been replaced at some time in the past with an economy one

tbh, I used those LION euro batteries for a few years now, in different vans, from a 2.8D right down to my current little 1.3 diesel,
and no problems yet, and with a 3 year warranty, cant be bad to that.

Back