Bayern dump Man Utd out of Europe

hill16

TK's Big Daddy
Bayern-Munichs-Arjen-Robb-001.jpg

Arjen Robben's spectacular late strike wrecked Manchester United's hopes of reaching a third successive Champions League final as he sent Bayern Munich through on away goals at Old Trafford.

The former Chelsea star rifled in a magnificent volley from Franck Ribery's corner with 16 minutes left to stun United after they looked to be cruising into the semi-finals as they went 3-0 up before the interval to establish a two-goal aggregate lead.

Robben capped a dismal week for United that has seen them lose the Premier League leadership and crash out of the Champions League - also ending English interest in the tournament after Arsenal's exit against Barcelona.

606: DEBATE
The red card turned the game on it's head. Bayern sensed blood, and got it.

EJ - MTAB
Wayne Rooney was in Sir Alex Ferguson's starting line-up as he completed a remarkable recovery from the ankle ligament injury he sustained in Bayern's 2-1 win against United in the Allianz Arena eight days ago.

And he was quickly a thorn in Bayern's side, setting up Darron Gibson's opener after just three minutes. United looked on course for the last four when Nani turned in Antonio Valencia's cross four minutes later to put them ahead in the tie.

Bayern were being run ragged and Nani capped United's complete supremacy when he scored his second and their third as half-time approached - but the whole mood and shape of the tie was turned when Ivica Olic took advantage of poor defending to bundle home a crucial goal before the interval.

Louis van Gaal's side suddenly discovered hope, and a measure of composure, their cause being helped when Rafael was sent off after 50 minutes following his second yellow card for a foul on Ribery.

Ferguson responded by replacing Rooney, who had been limping heavily earlier, with John O'Shea, but the momentum had swung dramatically to Bayern and Robben's wonder goal capped a period of pressure.

United had no Rooney to call on for the finale and they did not have the inspiration to mount a trademark late surge as the Premier League's last representative went out of a tournament in which they have exerted so much influence in recent seasons.

Ferguson must now gather his team for a final assault on a fourth successive title, but there is no doubt they have taken three heavy blows as they attempt to add more silverware to the Carling Cup won against Aston Villa.

And he will also hope Rooney has not sustained further damage to his ankle in this lost cause.

Rooney's presence was greeted with a thunderous roar at Old Trafford - and he was swiftly involved as United made the dream start by taking the lead after only three minutes. He found Gibson, whose right-foot shot from the edge of the box appeared to deceive Hans-Jorg Butt as it flew in.

Bayern were reeling under the weight of United's barrage and they doubled their lead four minutes later when Valencia tormented Holger Badstuber and crossed for Nani to flick his finish beyond Butt and into the far corner.

If Bayern had any plans to contain United, they were in tatters and their shredded nerves were in evidence again when a wild clearance from Butt almost let in Carrick, but his shot flew wide.

Rooney had shown little ill-effects from his injury in the early stages, but a gasp of anxiety swept around the stadium when he emerged from a tackle limping heavily. It was several minutes before he was able to run freely once more, signalling to the relieved United bench that he was able to continue.

Rafael had snuffed out the threat of Ribery in the first half, and was also able to join in United's attacking efforts. He was guilty, however, of wasting a perfect opportunity to increase United's advantage after 34 minutes when he raced clear into the box, only to fire across the face of goal with Rooney unmarked and perfectly placed, waiting in vain for the pass that never came.

Bayern finally posed a threat when Van der Sar was forced to plunge bravely at the feet of Olic in United's first serious moment of danger.

United's response was instant and emphatic as Nani added their third four minutes before the interval. Valencia, who had given Badstuber a torrid time, was the creator again with a cross that went behind Rooney but fell into the path of Nani, who confidently swept his finish high past Butt.

As United contemplated taking a three-goal lead into the interval, Bayern struck as poor defending from Michael Carrick allowed Olic to scramble a finish past Edwin Van der Sar.

Bayern were suddenly buoyant, knowing one more goal would give them control of the tie once again, and Robben's low shot brought a fine save from Van der Sar.

And their hopes were raised further when United were reduced to 10 men after 50 minutes as Rafael received a second yellow card for hauling back Ribery. United boss Ferguson acted quickly to fill the defensive gap as he sent on O'Shea for the tiring Rooney, who may have still been struggling with his ankle knock after the earlier incident.

Bayern clearly sensed there was something in this tie for them and the previously subdued Ribery fired in an instant volley which Van der Sar punched to safety.

United were refusing to sit back, however, and Patrice Evra's astute pass sent Nani into acres of space, but his powerful shot was blocked by Butt.

Bayern knew they needed a goal and continued to press, with substitute Mario Gomez arriving on the end of Philipp Lahm's delivery to send a header glancing off the bar with Van der Sar beaten.

And the strike they craved came with 16 minutes left, courtesy of a magnificent strike from Robben. United fatally left him unmarked at the far corner of the area, but he provided a classic low left foot volley that gave Van der Sar no chance.

Ferguson threw on Dimitar Berbatov for the closing stages but Bayern closed out the game in composed manner as Old Trafford suffered bitter disappointment in near silence. lol

would'nt exactly call it dump, also They did well to get that far (more than i can say for others) :cheesy grin: :leaving:

fair play to them, but you have to wonder has Ferguson gone and dropped a clanger by playing rooney again, and getting him injured? 2 weeks would be nice:grin: :xd:;)

The hole game changed when raffeal got sent off utd were outstanding up till then
for once i can honestly say the better team went out..They played out ov there skin
we got to see the real nanni he played excellent,its not all doom and gloom we still hav
prem to go for....:)

if they can keep rooney fit they have a chance, without, i dont think so:(

Dumped is definitely not the correct wording but whatever goes, Bayern were lucky but I would say that wouldn't I lol, us away Bayern was given a goal when it was clearly offside, even the missus noticed it and that's saying something! and tonight with 10 men we fell apart. Personally I think Rooney should of stayed on the bench ,Nani and raffeal were awesome, shame his immaturity and passion for the game got the better of him but he is a young lad and can only learn from his mistakes.

ferguson's risk with rooney might just backfire
its been announced tat rooney burst a blood vessel in he's ankle..

not the first time rooney has burst a blood vessel :hop mad:,i suppose the word dump is a bit harsh but not mine i copied it from the BBC but i thought they were friends of manu :whistling: the word i would of used would've been edited lol

bummer for your lot, great for ours on the 17th, me and the missus will be there(y)

FERGIE PLAYS DOWN ROONEY FEARS
Posted 07/04/10 22:37
Sir Alex Ferguson played down any fears that Wayne Rooney had suffered a recurrence of his ankle injury after the Manchester United striker was substituted against Bayern Munich.

The England striker was a surprise starter at Old Trafford but was soon limping after being caught in a challenge, he was eventually substituted after 55 minutes. United won 3-2 on the night, but went out to the German giants on away goals

"We will have a look at it," Ferguson said.

"I don't think it is serious. It's just that tissue and the blood vessel has just burst. I am sure he'll be fine for the following week."

it aint good news alrite, hope you and missus hav agood time
mancini might lend us tevez back, for the last 5 games lollollollollollol

Back