just a quick question,
my BB has recently been upgraded to fibre to the pole,
on c hecking it my speed hasnt really increased much,
I used to get about 12-13 meg, now occasionally see 14
checking my modem/router it shows a constant DL of 14.99, it never varies,
but, I notice it shows a max DL of 20.334
are they throttling my speed to 14.99 ?

thanksrouter.png

Could try a vpn on whatever device you're wanting the full speed from. I've just ran speed tests and got 37mbps without vpn, then 41mbps with vpn connected to fastest server. Read that it routes your data more efficiently or something.

try a different speed tester , try - Which broadband speed test , see if it’s the same , are you on WiFi , what else is using the network at the same time , seems strange that it is Bob on 14.99. , that’s as if it’s a maximum

, seems strange that it is Bob on 14.99. , that’s as if it’s a maximum
thats my thoughts, and its showing maximum downstream is 20
it used to vary up and down a bit, maybe between 12 - 14 at different times of the day and different days
I have also tried 2 different modems, both the ISP supplied one SSE technicolor TG589VAC-V2, and another spare Hauwei one I have, HG635

it wont make any different what you try your max downstream is 20 and my downloads varie between 17-13 mb.
I have same problem with talktalk on my existing fibre package I should get up to 35mb and according to BT checker I can get up to 53mb also my speeds are below Downstream Handback Threshold meaning I can cancle my package because it is below threshold rate.
Which I have done just getting virgin media fibre in called them yesterday and workman already been out and put cable into house.
BT checker is HERE
I needed to use the address checker

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 3
it wont make any different what you try your max downstream is 20 and my downloads varie between 17-13 mb.
I have same problem with talktalk on my existing fibre package I should get up to 35mb and according to BT checker I can get up to 53mb also my speeds are below Downstream Handback Threshold meaning I can cancle my package because it is below threshold rate.
Which I have done just getting virgin media fibre in called them yesterday and workman already been out and put cable into house.
BT checker is HERE
I needed to use the address checker
I know looking at the router my max is 20
but my router is saying its at 14.99 , and average speedcheck is coming back at 13.4 , which is probably about right if router is showing 14.99
I'm stuck as to why its only giving me 14.99 if my max should be 20
when you have speeds this low an extra 5 meg is a LOT to be losing out on
that address checker is showing me between 13-26 , which is also what openreach have told me, with the caveat they said I could realistically expect a max of about 22

One thing you can try switching off your router for 30mins to see if DLM resets.
I've just set this router up last night to double check if the ISP router was maybe locked at 14.99, this is a different router

Last edited:
If you've just upgraded they always say allow 10 days for it to establish a steady connection but if your speeds are low ring them as there could be a fault on the line due to upgrade or its all what your line can handle.
They always say estimated speeds but when you upgrade ect it turns your speeds can't handle it where supposed to get 63mbps but only get 36mbps

If you've just upgraded they always say allow 10 days for it to establish a steady connection but if your speeds are low ring them as there could be a fault on the line due to upgrade or its all what your line can handle.
They always say estimated speeds but when you upgrade ect it turns your speeds can't handle it where supposed to get 63mbps but only get 36mbps
I've always had 35meg paid for, but that was FTTC , and speeds were about 12meg, which was what I was told to expect
my router is showing max available at 20meg, my router showing max I can have is 14.99 , thats why I think ISP throttling me.
last week they finished an upgrade of fibre to the pole, and openreach are saying I should get about 22meg, website showing 13-26
and other providers telling me 16-26
I rang ISP up, they didnt know very much,
I've went with a new ISP, connection due on 17th Feb

I dont have ADSL, I have FTTC = VDSL

and ring wires havent been used since the advent of digital (inc none rotary) phones
even trimphones didnt need a ring wire
yes they haven't been used for years but can still interfere.

I donethat years back didn't make much difference, what has not been mentioned is he connected directly to master socket or using normal telephone extension cable rather than cat5e.
straight into the BB side of the master socket
I dont even have a phone, so absolutely nothing else connected whatsoever
I'm just baffled as to why my router/modem is saying max available is 20meg
but my DL speed is locked at 14.99 meg
seems illogical to me unless I am being throttled

straight into the BB side of the master socket
I dont even have a phone, so absolutely nothing else connected whatsoever
I'm just baffled as to why my router/modem is saying max available is 20meg
but my DL speed is locked at 14.99 meg
seems illogical to me unless I am being throttled
Take it that's hardwired and not on wifi

thats the speeds my router is showing,
speedtest on any of my PCs or laptops, even phone shows about 13.4, which I'd take as acceptable loss on speed from router to device., router at 14.99.
Take it that's hardwired and not on wifi

Back