BBC Licence Fee on Brink

Kaspas4450

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
And far too late IMO - Is this the start of the end of the BBC and them realising that there are other and dare I say it better platforms out there, and no doubt (me being firmly a non believer of the BBC), they have now started to realise, far too late I might add, that after taking millions/billions yearly from the UK people, their platform/business model is crap and no longer works?

Here is the article: BBC TV Licence

This is a quote from this article

They said replacing the broadcaster's model with an "opt-in" streaming service like Netflix would not be viable for at least another two decades due to the poor internet quality. :unsure::unsure:

But Netflix works and Amazon Prime and every IPTV provider's streams that I have tried have worked (Granted some with problems) but that is to be expected. So what are they finding that does not work for another 20 years?

Do they not already have BBC IPlayer?? Which works perfectly well? Granted it is not a subscription service, just a register and login, but my internet and no doubt millions of other pople's internet cope with it just fine!

My final conclusion is BULLSHIT

And far too late IMO - Is this the start of the end of the BBC and them realising that there are other and dare I say it better platforms out there, and no doubt (me being firmly a non believer of the BBC), they have now started to realise, far too late I might add, that after taking millions/billions yearly from the UK people, their platform/business model is crap and no longer works?

Here is the article: BBC TV Licence

This is a quote from this article

They said replacing the broadcaster's model with an "opt-in" streaming service like Netflix would not be viable for at least another two decades due to the poor internet quality. :unsure::unsure:

But Netflix works and Amazon Prime and every IPTV provider's streams that I have tried have worked (Granted some with problems) but that is to be expected. So what are they finding that does not work for another 20 years?

Do they not already have BBC IPlayer?? Which works perfectly well? Granted it is not a subscription service, just a register and login, but my internet and no doubt millions of other pople's internet cope with it just fine!

My final conclusion is BULLSHIT
I've not paid for a licence for ten years so I'm not interested if they take another forty years to decide as I won't be paying anyway.
There's no reason why they can't scrap it tomorrow and take advertising money.
They actually make billions on advertising annually because, of the fifty or so channels they own, there's only half a dozen without adverts.
Discovery and Gold, Dave etc all have TV shows originally paid for by licence payers and they advertise every ten minutes

I think come 2027, the TV licence will remain, it needs to, simply because like all public sector, it keeps a lot of third rate people (in terms of talent and ability ) in work. The government, whatever flavour of political party is in power
are all very much in favour of keeping public sector jobs, and what better way than through a TV poll tax.

My tuppence worth...

I read somewhere that the BBC is putting pressure on streaming device and smart TV manufacturer's to make sure that the BBCi Player is on their products by default in the UK and will always reinstall themselves automatically if removed if an update is performed. This sets a dangerous precedent because it will mean that if you no longer watch BBC channels and therefore no longer pay the license fee you can be accused of accessing the iPlayer illegally because if you have access to it on your devices you therefore MUST be accessing it. This then puts the onus on the accused to prove that they were not watching BBC content on the iPlayer. A bit like giving every driver in this country a speeding ticket because while their car has the capability to exceed the speed limit you therefore have to prove you were not speeding.... Guilty till proved innocent....

I watch a guy called ChilliJohnCarne on Youtube and last week he posted a video about the BBC who are now writing to non licence feeing payers who have told the BBC they have no equipment that receives live TV accusing them of accessing the iPlayer without paying for it. Now this is most probably a scare tactic on behalf of the BBC to frighten people into paying and with some people it will work but coupled with pressure to have the iPlayer on devices by default it makes it sinister all the same.

I've got a feeling this is going to get messy.

KR

CCF

My tuppence worth...

I read somewhere that the BBC is putting pressure on streaming device and smart TV manufacturer's to make sure that the BBCi Player is on their products by default in the UK and will always reinstall themselves automatically if removed if an update is performed. This sets a dangerous precedent because it will mean that if you no longer watch BBC channels and therefore no longer pay the license fee you can be accused of accessing the iPlayer illegally because if you have access to it on your devices you therefore MUST be accessing it. This then puts the onus on the accused to prove that they were not watching BBC content on the iPlayer. A bit like giving every driver in this country a speeding ticket because while their car has the capability to exceed the speed limit you therefore have to prove you were not speeding.... Guilty till proved innocent....

I watch a guy called ChilliJohnCarne on Youtube and last week he posted a video about the BBC who are now writing to non licence feeing payers who have told the BBC they have no equipment that receives live TV accusing them of accessing the iPlayer without paying for it. Now this is most probably a scare tactic on behalf of the BBC to frighten people into paying and with some people it will work but coupled with pressure to have the iPlayer on devices by default it makes it sinister all the same.

KR

CCF

In order to use BBC iPlayer App on a Smart TV, an account needs to be created otherwise access is denied to view content

I have a real hatred for the BBC, and can't even bear to see the BBC logo on any of my equipment, my Sharp TV is configured as living in Spain, no sign of the BBC iPlayer App on there and never will be.. lol

If people decide to live legally TV licence free, they're always best to de-register the iemail they used with iPlayer account by closing it especially if it is connected with payments of old TV licences.

My tuppence worth...

KR

CCF
Its a money making exercise aimed at idiots.
The BBC are going to be writing to people?
Please, - who in this day and age falls for those tactics?
I've had three visits in ten years from human beings that came to the door.
One was over ninety and he was told to close the gate on his way out.
One was about forty and was told to close the gate otherwise I would insert it into him, the last one didn't knock but flapped the letterbox hard as he posted a handwritten 'warning' card...that was four years back.
Not had even a letter or anything else in over two years

Australia where I was born abolished theirs in the 1970s for ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation,) I think it was and it is still ten times better than the BBC even though it has commercials, but is now going the same WOKE way as the BBC. Every broadcaster in the world used to look up BBC programming but I doubt any of them do now, It is about time the beep learnt to stand on its own two feet without the telly tax and see if they would survive whilst forcing that woke crap down your throats if you had a choice to not pay, I bet they the would would soon bring back good programming or fold

Too many fingers in too many pies for the money men. So many options and services far better but Sir always says the bbc is the best. Well lets get rid of compulsory for subscription and well see wont we

Last edited by a moderator:
We're needing a referendum on how the BBC is funded....

I'd propose two questions to be asked on the ballot paper:-

(1) Continue with the TV Licence fee
or
(2) Subscription and/or Advertising,

but then that's democracy, and there's nothing more politicians fear most than allowing the public a say.....

We're needing a referendum on how the BBC is funded....

I'd propose two questions to be asked on the ballot paper:-

(1) Continue with the TV Licence fee
or
(2) Subscription and/or Advertising,

but then that's democracy, and there's nothing more politicians fear most than allowing the public a say.....

With other ways for them to make their billions it beggars belief they are still conning people with the TV license BS.

it's so outdated

we are such an insular country: we have two anachronistic institutions that are revered like national religions, or, rather, cults.

dare suggest that the BBC or NHS are not the envy of the world or that they are stuffy old fashioned concepts not fit for the modern world and people take serious offence.

for me it's a form of imperialism/xenophobia to think the world looks at the licence fee system or the NHS in goggle eyed wonder, Do Me A Favour lol.

and the hypocrisy:

"the BBC is such good value for money" - it won't have any trouble gaining willing subscribers, then

I've never understood that the fact you pay for sly or vm etc and you still have to pay a tv license for a right to view a channel you're already paying for 😂

it's so outdated

we are such an insular country: we have two anachronistic institutions that are revered like national religions, or, rather, cults.

dare suggest that the BBC or NHS are not the envy of the world or that they are stuffy old fashioned concepts not fit for the modern world and people take serious offence.

for me it's a form of imperialism/xenophobia to think the world looks at the licence fee system or the NHS in goggle eyed wonder, Do Me A Favour lol.

and the hypocrisy:

"the BBC is such good value for money" - it won't have any trouble gaining willing subscribers, then
I have travelled part around the world and you go to places like Africa and India Tibet even Eastern Europe and yes the NHS is the envy even the US, if you are poor and can not afford good insurance, I was told they have an horrible two tear system whilst out there. Africa people rarely live to their late 40s because of the healthcare system anb would love an NHS but do not have enough people paying tax to do it. But I do get and agree with your point

I have travelled part around the world and you go to places like Africa and India Tibet even Eastern Europe and yes the NHS is the envy even the US, if you are poor and can not afford good insurance, I was told they have an horrible two tear system whilst out there. Africa people rarely live to their late 40s because of the healthcare system anb would love an NHS but do not have enough people paying tax to do it. But I do get and agree with your point

I'd love to hear some comparisons of the NHS, with other health systems but I think its best comparing to those of other developed countries, like Australia for example but not exclusively the United States, which seems to always be the comparison people choose when I find them defending the NHS..

I'd love to hear some comparisons of the NHS, with other health systems but I think its best comparing to those of other developed countries, like Australia for example but not exclusively the United States, which seems to always be the comparison people choose when I find them defending the NHS..
I was born In Australia my experience of the health service over there was a big box delivered and you used to ring the flying doctor and they would tell you what to take out of this big box if you needed anything or medevaced out , Fortunately I never had to go into hospital in Australia, but our health care system is on par with yours if not better each cattle station has a medical box and a run way also if you live isolate near a road you get a medical box in case of a road accident as the nearest town can be 200km away. I have seen my sister in hospital when she had my nephew she had her own private room unlike here and care was good and seen dad in hospital again private room care good cant ask for more, UK stuck on a ward with other ill people coughing and farting all night

the US is one of the few developed world's health systems i wouldnt want to copy - and i think the only that doesnt have universal health care.

universal coverage is a banal achievement - all but 43 countries manage it.

also, it's not saying much to say that tibet or parts of africa would envy us, those parts of the world would envy running water and a wage of $5 per day.

tbh the brag of "it's the envy of Chad and Syria" is up there with the guardian's infamous quote "the only serious black mark against the NHS is its poor record on keeping people alive"

seriously its a cult.

Back