Beaumont doctor's family killed in Leicester house fire

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
0007dba3-642.jpg

0007dbc0-642.jpg

Police in England have begun a murder inquiry after a mother and her three children were killed in a house fire in Leicester.

The woman, aged in her 40s and named locally as Shehnila Taufiq, her 19-year-old daughter and sons, aged 17 and 15, died after a fire broke out at their terraced home this morning.

It is believed the woman's husband and children's father Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar works between Beaumont Hospital, Temple Street, the Mater Private and the Hermitage Clinic.

He is also understood to be well known in the Muslim community in Ireland.

Leicestershire Police have launched a murder inquiry over the blaze and are examining the possibility of it being a revenge attack.

Emergency crews were called to reports of a man being assaulted in a nearby street several hours earlier.

Police have not released details of his injuries but he was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary where he died.

At 12.30am firefighters battled to extinguish the blaze at the Wood Hill property which is half a mile away from the assault scene.

Urging witnesses to get in touch, Assistant Chief Constable Roger Bannister said it was possible both offences, which he described as "terrible, terrible crimes", were linked.

He said officers were exploring different lines of inquiry but one included the fire potentially being a revenge attack.

Mr Bannister said he was particularly keen to speak to witnesses who were in both locations and said the crimes might be linked because of the close location and timing.

He added: "I can't confirm here and now it is a revenge attack - it may be, it may not be - but lines of inquiry will certainly get to the bottom of that."

The four victims, who included Mrs Taufiq and her children named locally as Zainab, Bilal and Jamal Sattar, were found dead in upstairs bedrooms.

Neighbours spoke of flames shooting out of the house which was gutted in the blaze.

The officer said neither the family nor the man who was killed were known to police. Police are working to trace a man who also lived in the property.

Shock at fire tragedy

It's reported that Mr Taufiq Sattar was in Ireland at the time but has since returned to England where he is being comforted by family and friends.

One of the hospitals where he works released a statement expressing its condolences.

Beaumont Hospital said the board and staff learned, with shock, of his tragic loss and said their support and thoughts were with him at this terrible time.

Leicester-based Imam Ibrahim Mogra, the assistant secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, visited the scene.

He told reporters: ""I did not know them personally but from what people have told me they were a very religious family, very humble, very modest and very generous.

"The mother was a scholar herself and clearly they were a family that was into religion and education and were held in very high esteem by the local community."

Local storekeeper Sattar Raidhan, who has lived in the area for 35 years, said: "I believe the husband worked as a doctor in Ireland and he came home every weekend to see his family. I can't even imagine how this would happen to a family like that."

Back