Best BUDGET box

I don't know what the OPs mum is like but of it was my mum the ease of use for the firestick is what pushes it for me (although I have supplied her with a mag box now but the OP wanted entry level pricing). I have had, and still have, a variety of boxes ranging from Android boxes and firesticks through to the Nvidia Shield Pro (amazing bit of kit, wish I had got one sooner) and in terms of value and simplicity of use I personally prefer the firestick.

I don't know what the OPs mum is like but of it was my mum the ease of use for the firestick is what pushes it for me (although I have supplied her with a mag box now but the OP wanted entry level pricing). I have had, and still have, a variety of boxes ranging from Android boxes and firesticks through to the Nvidia Shield Pro (amazing bit of kit, wish I had got one sooner) and in terms of value and simplicity of use I personally prefer the firestick.

Ordered a Nvidia shield tv today, hoping it’s a decent bit of kit.

Just set up a 4K stick for my mum though and I agree they are so easy to use and surprisingly fast for a good price. Even at £50.

Ordered a Nvidia shield tv today, hoping it’s a decent bit of kit.

Just set up a 4K stick for my mum though and I agree they are so easy to use and surprisingly fast for a good price. Even at £50.

Did you get the new tube one? I got one of those and was so impressed I got hold of the pro at a slightly inflated price for the main TV. I was really impressed by it. Had a bit of glitching on my LG OLED but once I set the correct tv resolution/refresh rate it was bang on. Full 7.1 passthrough and upscaling of 1080p. (Sorry for the hijack OP, I've become a bit of a preacher on these sticks the last couple of weeks :) ). I'll shut up now...

Did you get the new tube one? I got one of those and was so impressed I got hold of the pro at a slightly inflated price for the main TV. I was really impressed by it. Had a bit of glitching on my LG OLED but once I set the correct tv resolution/refresh rate it was bang on. Full 7.1 passthrough and upscaling of 1080p. (Sorry for the hijack OP, I've become a bit of a preacher on these sticks the last couple of weeks :) ). I'll shut up now...

Yeh been looking at that, the formuler z8 and buzzxrs 4000 the last few weeks and I got a deal on the Nvidia shield tv today so snapped it up, so the 4K stick is going up stairs now.

The problem with the cheap boxes is they will technically do what you are asking:
connects via HDMI, does 1080p and I can play movies from either USB or a network drive
...but the minute you look to use an app that has DRM (I.e. Prime Video, NetFlix, Disney+, etc. etc. -- basically any subscription app) you won't be able to get an HD feed from the boxes since they aren't official Android TV boxes. On top of that, the "Leanback UI" on most of these boxes leaves a lot to be desired and reminds me of Windows 8.

The official Android Boxes are few and far between. The Mi Box S and Nvidia SHIELD TV are the only two I would consider. I have both of them and for just streaming to a 1080p TV it does a fine job. I wouldn't try to stream a full Blu-ray rip over WiFi with it as the WiFi while "5GHz" isn't that fast. I can't get mine past about 40-50Mbps and Blu-ray rips can exceed 60 or 70 depending on the title.

The SHIELD TV is the best deal, especially when you hardwire it as it has a gigabit Ethernet adapter.

@Eric_Haley
When you read the rules, did you miss this part?

• No self-promotion / advertising / links to similar websites without first contacting the Administrator.
You may want to change your avatar otherwise all your posts will be deleted

i just sold my first gen firestick could not beleive i got £27.50 for it on the bay.

For your mother i would say its the best option. otherwise the x96 i think they are about £30

Back