Best MP4 playback: through H5 or directly from TV's usb port?

harmand

I'd like some technical advice about a doubt which came up with my new 4K "smart" TV set, which seems to have pretty good usb-playback functions.

My previous TV was quite lacking in that field (poor browsing, format and resolution limitations), so I got used to having mp4s played back by the H5 (from the external usb hard disk), in turn connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports, with the H5's output set to HD (1080p). In such a configuration I guess all the upscaling work from lower resolutions to HD is done by the H5. The TV, however, still has to do its part, scaling from HD (coming from the H5) to the panel's actual resolution. The old TV had to downscale, the new one must upscale.

The new TV has also usb-recording features, but the H5 is definitely quite better at that job, so I want to continue using it as main PVR.
Now my doubt is:
from a technical point of view, apart from personal viewing perceptions and sensations, would it be "better" to playback video content directly from the TV's usb port, thus having the TV do the whole upscaling job? Should I change something in my configuration? Or is the H5 as good at upscaling as it is at receiving, recording and so on?

Back