Best router as I have hub 3

Any one have any go to router for replacement of there virgin router and is it as simple as putting hub 3 in to modem mode and then plug n play with new router budget no more than 100 will be used for 2 kids gaming in separate bedrooms and 1 streaming box thanks in advance

i use a tplink deco M4 mesh routers with my hub 3, basically I have 3 deco's around the house, far better than using hub 3 as router. your devices just automatically connect to the nearest deco as you move around the house, each one has 2 ethernet ports as well.

i use a tplink deco M4 mesh routers with my hub 3, basically I have 3 deco's around the house, far better than using hub 3 as router. your devices just automatically connect to the nearest deco as you move around the house, each one has 2 ethernet ports as well.
Would you recommend this setup Mr Grog? I've been looking at mesh systems to provide seamless wifi over the house and garden but there are so many to choose from.
I don't actually want to change the router, just add mesh and turn wifi off on the router if that's possible.
At the moment I have 3 routers scattered around the house as access points and I want to buy something prettier with my Xmas money (y)
They are all hardwired as well, can all these units be hardwired?

Would you recommend this setup Mr Grog? I've been looking at mesh systems to provide seamless wifi over the house and garden but there are so many to choose from.
I don't actually want to change the router, just add mesh and turn wifi off on the router if that's possible.
At the moment I have 3 routers scattered around the house as access points and I want to buy something prettier with my Xmas money (y)
They are all hardwired as well, can all these units be hardwired?
I wouldn't go back to single router setup.

I got mine as my hub seemed to keep dropping out, I could be watching something on Firestick and all of sudden it would drop out for a few second while other devices stayed connected, then something else would lose wifi, ie smart TV but firestick stayed connected. Installed the mesh and not had issue since, saying that, a standard router may well have fixed that.

Make sure if you go for a mesh that they are compatable with your router, I had a tp link wifi extender which can be added to a mesh, but it's a different mesh system to the DECO M4 so the extender has a different SID.

The VM Super Hub 3 is a domestic router and tends to fall over with 10+ connected devices so I now use an Asus router with the VM hub in modem mode. It is best to locate the hub/router in the centre of the house and if possible use wired connections and 5GHz wifi. Also call out a VM Engineer to check and if necessary replace old cables and connections as they can corrode and deteriorate over time affecting the hub's speed and performance. Some years ago I networked the house with satellite and broadband sockets (and 5-port switches) in every room. At the start of the 1st lockdown I formally complained online to VM about the frequent broadband outages and they awarded me a 12-month 'loyalty discount' worth £180 so I invested in an Asus Gaming Router Model GT-AX11000 (Amazon Warehouse Deal) with the VM Super Hub 3 now in modem mode. That Asus Router does everything except make coffee :). I did extensive research before buying Asus, they are the best.

Last edited:
The VM Super Hub 3 is a domestic router and falls over with 10+ connected devices. It is best to locate it in the centre of the house and if possible use wired connections and 5GHz wifi. Also call out a VM Engineer to check and if necessary replace old cables and connections as they can corrode and deteriorate over time affecting speed and performance. Some years ago I networked the house with satellite and broadband sockets (and 5-port switches) in every room. At the start of the 1st lockdown I formally complained online to VM about the frequent broadband outages and they awarded me a 12-month 'loyalty discount' worth £180 so I invested in an Asus Gaming Router Model GT-AX11000 (Amazon Warehouse Deal) with the VM Super Hub 3 now in modem mode. That Asus Router does everything except make coffee :). I did extensive research before buying Asus, they are the best.
I currently have 18 devices connected, (Yes 18) and everything is running brilliantly, not a glitch anywhere

I have the Merlin firmware also Obi... it is the dogs preverbials, I also tried Skynet, rather than the built in AI Protection, but couldn't get my head around it and didn't know if it was helping the router or hindering it, so took it off.
Skynet started to fade away a couple years ago mate

Back