Best usb for recording on h5 and setup

Leelee1982

Hi wondering what best usb model or size is best to use with zgemma boxes
I’m currently using 32gb Kingston usb for recording
And 8gb micro sd for timeshift etc but sometimes not often recordings on h5 fail to record on iptv

unless your provider specifically allows it or you have 'multiroom' subscription then you can't record IPTV while watching IPTV.

I use a 1tb Samsung hdd connected to box for recording @grog68 if your lucky enough you can do it off a single sub aswell but 90% of time you do need multiroom

Almost all USB drives will work if prepared properly but it is always good advice to use a known brand, size/capacity is determined by how much you wish to record, hold on the drive &/or use timeshift.
On our main system, we have a 1TB Samsung external USB drive powered via the box USB port although you are better advised to use an external power source if using an external HDD, on other systems around the house I use whatever USB drive is to hand.

We hardly ever record or use timeshift so the drive remains empty most of the time although we do sometimes d/l films/series/boxsets to the drive.
On the other Engima2 systems we have, I often use 16gb - 32gb without any problems although again recording/timeshift on these is minimal & cleared/deleted from the drive once watched.
Most decent IPTV providers have a 7 day catchup service which removes a lot of the need to record so really USB drive capacity comes down to how often you use timeshift & whether you clear timeshift once used.

Almost all USB drives will work if prepared properly but it is always good advice to use a known brand, size/capacity is determined by how much you wish to record, hold on the drive &/or use timeshift.
On our main system, we have a 1TB Samsung external USB drive powered via the box USB port although you are better advised to use an external power source if using an external HDD, on other systems around the house I use whatever USB drive is to hand.

We hardly ever record or use timeshift so the drive remains empty most of the time although we do sometimes d/l films/series/boxsets to the drive.
On the other Engima2 systems we have I use any USB drive I have to hand, often 16gb - 32gb without any problems although again recording/timeshift on these is minimal & cleared/deleted from the drive once watched.
Most decent IPTV providers have a 7 day catchup service which removes a lot of the need to record so really USB drive capacity comes down to how often you use timeshift & whether you clear timeshift once used.
How would you best prepare or have u prepared your hdd/usb On Main box as I’d like to not miss some recordings and I have had a couple fail of late due to power cut I’m assuming. I think I need setup again

If the drive is only going to be used as storage for the box the prep is very basic, format the drive into NTFS then connect it to the box & initialize.

I have iptv compatible to record
two ways to be able to record iptv:
on a single sub (watch only) IF you have sly connected for fta, place the box on a sly fed fta channel & record via the EPG on your IPTV side.
get a multiroom sub, allows 2 connections....1 is being used to watch while the other is being used to record (even IF watching & recording the same channel)

When you say recordings are failing is it late at night and is your box on standby as mine never used to record if box was on standby

If the drive is only going to be used as storage for the box the prep is very basic, format the drive into NTFS then connect it to the box & initialize.

two ways to be able to record iptv:
on a single sub (watch only) IF you have sly connected for fta, place the box on a sly fed fta channel & record via the EPG on your IPTV side.
get a multiroom sub, allows 2 connections....1 is being used to watch while the other is being used to record (even IF watching & recording the same channel)
By storage do u mean (rec) ??
I already have multiroom 2 connections with this supplier for instance I’m watched itv1 on iptv sub last night while recording sky movies premiere on iptv sub I checked the rec about halfway through wat I was watching and it was all good then checked again after itv show had finished and it had jus stopped at Time 1hr3mins but was still Rec according to when I went to stop and delete
I jus wonder if my usb isn’t correctly setup or my freezing glitches in service are causing my box to do this

as the USB is recording, the box settings for storage must be correct, the image you are using will have settings for recording. If you are using a known image (WBI/Grogbuild) these settings will already have been checked but IF it's your own image it's worth checking those settings, the default is usually to start 3 mins before & end 5 mins after.
By storage I mean to hold any info not stored on your SD card.... plugins, recording, downloads, timeshift, etc.

One drawback to IPTV is that IF your stream stutters/glitches this can cause the recording to stop regardless of the end time set on the recording, Providers who are on top of their game seldom suffer these issues but it does happen, IPTV is not perfect.

Last edited:
Back