'Big Man' who threw alleged fare dodger off train in hit internet video is CHARGED

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
'Big Man' who threw alleged fare dodger off train in hit internet video is CHARGED with assault

It was one of those moments when the nation rejoiced as a brave man stood up to a lout.

Alan Pollock was hailed as a hero after millions on the internet watched a video of the ‘Big Man’ hauling an alleged fare dodger off a train.

But yesterday it emerged that the authorities do not share the public’s enthusiasm for his actions and Mr Pollock has been charged with assault.

article-0-0F28E8E600000578-109_468x402.jpg

Almost two million people have seen the YouTube video of his intervention in an argument between student Sam Main and a conductor, who claimed the teenager did not have a valid ticket and should get off the train.

The incident, on the 9.33pm Edinburgh to Perth service on December 9, was captured on another passenger’s mobile phone and posted online.

The video, called ‘ScotRail No Ticket’, shows the conductor telling 19-year-old Mr Main: ‘Off now. Off.

article-2076718-0F2D0BBD00000578-716_468x345.jpg

Sam Main has not been charged, but has been reported for threatening and abusive behaviour, and for trespass

‘I’ll sit here all night pal – I’m getting paid for this. But these folk [passengers] will start moaning, not to me but to you.

‘Why should they pay and you not? Get off.’

Mr Main is shown apparently shouting and swearing at the white-haired conductor, as a young family look on, before insisting he had paid for a ticket.

The conductor replies: ‘You’ve not paid at all. You’ve bought a single from Polmont to Edinburgh Park. And you needn’t bother swearing.’

That is when Mr Pollock, 35, appears to intervene, asking: ‘Do you want me to get him off for you?’ The conductor replies: ‘Yes.’

article-2076718-0F271C1800000578-935_468x276.jpg

Is there a problem? After the conductor has been remonstrating with the teenager the 'Big Man' stands up and approaches the conductor

article-2076718-0F271C2400000578-273_468x286.jpg

Time to move on, son: The burly passenger looks down on the teenager before pushing him to the train door.

article-2076718-0F262E2100000578-984_468x286.jpg

Off and away: The 'big man' hoists the youth up from his seat and throws him off the train

The footage then shows Mr Main being forced along the carriage before being pushed on to the platform at Linlithgow station.

Mr Main twice tries to get back on but is held back, as a female passenger is heard saying: ‘There’s no need for that.’

When Mr Pollock returns to his seat, he is greeted by emoji_clap from other passengers and a male voice says: ‘Cheers, Big Man.’

But yesterday it emerged that Mr Pollock, of Stirling, has been charged by police with assaulting Mr Main.

article-2076718-0F271CFF00000578-43_468x286.jpg

A report on the incident has been sent to the local procurator fiscal, who will decide whether to proceed with the prosecution.

Mr Main, who has not been charged, has been reported to the procurator fiscal for threatening behaviour and trespass.

It is understood he may have gone on to the railway line to retrieve an item after he was hauled off, and the train moved away.

Mr Main, who was travelling home to Falkirk, Stirlingshire, after an exam at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, says he suffered cuts to his face and legs in the incident.

He also claims he was sold the wrong tickets, being given two for his outward journey and no return. The student, who is diabetic, says he was ‘quite clearly assaulted’ and reported Mr Pollock to British Transport Police the day after the incident.

Public support has been split between the two men, with some saying Mr Pollock was right to take action, while others see the teenager as the victim.

Mr Main said: ‘I don’t condone the way I spoke to the conductor, but still there’s no way that anybody possibly who has seen the video can condone the way the passenger chose to handle the situation.’

ScotRail is investigating the actions of the train conductor and Heriot-Watt University could take disciplinary steps against Mr Main.

But Scottish Conservative justice spokesman David McLetchie criticised the decision to charge Mr Pollock. He said: ‘This is a case that has polarised opinion across the country and any trial is unlikely to please everyone.

‘In all the circumstances, this may be a case where a warning letter to Mr Pollock would suffice and draw a line under the matter.’

The Video footage:

[video=youtube;eKKADFIEX84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKKADFIEX84[/video]

Back