Windows 7 Bios problem

fanbeltphil

hi all. got a bios problem needs sorting out. acer aspire v3-531-B9604g50m. this is not my laptop, my friend bought this 2nd hand, pre-installed with win8 x64. he wanted me to install win7 x64, so went ahead and did it. win7 was running fine, until I tried to get in to the bios on boot up. all the usual function keys F2,F12 etc were not getting me in. so I updated the bios from 2.01 to 2.14 (from official acer site). it seemed to install fine right up to 100%, then rebooted. now I am getting this message NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - HIT ANY KEY. this then takes me to the next screen which says,

BOOT MANAGER

BOOT OPTION MENU

UP AND DOWN keys TO CHANGE OPTION, ENTER TO SELECT OPTION

the problem is there are no options to choose from. every time I reboot I keep getting the same messages. can this be sorted and if so can somebody please give me advice. thanks phil.

i beleive you can re-flash the bios you will have to goto the acer site for the correct bios for this laptop. not sure if you will have to re-install windows.

hi aldan. yes tried thall the usual function keys to begin with, no luck. this is why I assumed the bios would need updating. now I am getting the above messages. when I get to the BOOT MANAGER, BOOT OPTION MENU, PRESS UP AND DOWN KEYS, PRESS ENTER TO SELECT. there are no options to choose from. this happens every time I re-boot.

you might try resetting the bios to its default settings just in case the bios flash changed something there.this will not,however undo the bios update,but may enable you to get into the bios to set your boot priority.do this by removing the cmos (bios) battery for a minute and then replacing it.also remove the actual laptop battery for a bit as well.with both batteries removed hold down the power button for about 10 secs.after replacing the batteries see if it will boot to the bios.

hi aldan. I have been looking at a few videos on how to remove/replace cmos battery, it entails practically stripping down the laptop. I don't think I have the confidence in doing this. is there any other advice you can give. phil.

try removing the laptop battery first.if nothing else you could find either a reputable computer repairman or a computer savvy friend to help with the cmos battery.

Back