Biostar GeForce 6100 am2 will not boot

oscar

I have 4 Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2 mother boards that will not boot.
The processors and memory are good as proved on another working board.
The bios battery and bios memory are good.
The power supplies they are running off are good.
There are no bulging caps on either board.

The only thing that happens when the boards are powered up is that the power supply fans and processor fans run but the monitor fails to come on and there are no beeps to indicate a problem.
The processor remains stone cold as I have tried running the board with the fan removed and my hand on the processor.
Any suggestions would be welcome please as I need these for spares Thanks.
Regards

Thanks for the reply.
None of the boards boot or beep --- all have been tested with no HDD, floppy etc just on the bench with monitor,good tested memory,cpu and good power supply.
The working one I have works fine with this combination.
No spillage, bios cleared and batteries replaced with good new ones.
All links are identical.
Regards

Last edited:
Have you looked at the bad boards under a magnifying glass to see if there are any signs of burning on any of the printed circuit tracks?

There are 5 CAPS in a row on those boards just behind the processor socket and if they are shot it will cause the board to not post.

It's not always evident that they are blown on a visual inspection so it might be worth changing them on one board to see?

5caps.jpg

Have you tested with one power supply or a couple of different ones?
What else have you tested the power supply on that you say its good?
No beeps on post boot means bad power supply or a screwed board, you say you have 4 of them? Must be the power supply.
Did you bye these cheap and sold as not working by any chance?

I think he said he has one boarding working on the same test rig?

If that's the case it would rule out the power supply?

Gotcha, i was reading from the first post, sorry gman. Strange one that the rest wont respond then at all!

Gents . Thanks for your time .
I work in the amusement industry and 2 of these are from "Quiz" towers.
I bought another 3 non workers and got one of them working --- 2 out of the 4 memory slots didn't work so stuck lucky there but that one gave a beep to indiicate where the problem was .
The other 3 have the same no boot or beep problems --- there must be a common factor here.
Thanks for the hint regarding the caps - will check that out tomorrow but they "look" fine.
No burn marks anywhere - the boards are all in physical good condition with no cracks or abuse.
I've a dental appointment in the morning so will be in the right mood !!!
Regards

Never got around to doing anything today --- apart from looking at the boards.
I do not have those 5 caps as shown in the picture.
There are a number of caps in the area between the cpu and serial/monitor etc sockets on the edge of the boards.
Mine are Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2 GREEN coloured boards.
Could be a slight variation. Maybe tomorrow.............
Regards

Provided the board that you got working is the same as the non working (eg. memory and CPU are supported by the boards, even if they fit physically it will not always work).
Are the non working boards bend, are there LEDs lit indicating they receive power from the power supply?
Do you have a discrete graphics card that you can use to test rule out non working onboard graphics?

JW-OK.
They are all identical boards with the same links set.
I use the cpu and memory and same PSU from the working one on all the others.
The non workers are in good physical/mechanical condition and complete with all components.
2 are from our own PC towers --- they failed on site and replacement towers had to be fitted .
Tried a different graphics card with same result.
No beeps of any sort from speaker.
If I remove the memory from the good one I get a beep followed by a long beep, if I remember, indicating a memory fault.
There are no leds on any of the boards which is a pity.
Will try to replace the caps on one if time tomorrow.
Thanks for your time ...........
Regards.

You could maybe try a pci test card or diagnostic card, it has a display which will show a code if it detects any problem which you look up in the manual.
I have no idea how reliable they are and if it would even work in your case but if you found someone that had one for you to try out it might help you solve a problem.
I believe they come in usb also but pci would probably be the better option to go for.

Got a pci/isa POST test card.
On power up with a good board the display shows "FF" then quickly goes to "C0" and on to all sorts of different letters/numbers.
With the BAD boards the display goes to "FF" and just sits there.
All power rails are present and correct.
With no CPU in the good board halts at "FF"----- understandable.
With a CPU in but NO memory module the good board halts at "C0".
So it seems for some reason none of the bad boards are seeing the CPU.......................
Regards

hmmm, maybe a reball or reflow on the cpu socket? (underside)
Could try a proper reflow workstation or riskier still a heat gun covering up all caps and so on that could be damaged, workstation is the safest option.
If these boards were subject to heavy use and not properly ventilated/cooled then it could be a possibility of a broken solder joints. I cant think of anything else really to be honest.
Workstations are expensive, some crazy videos of people ramming them into household ovens but claim it works.
Heat gun is said to work but board must not be moved during the process.
Since their not working anyway i myself would try it on one of the boards doing the gpu also.

axxxo.
Thanks for the reply.
They do work hard as they are in quiz machines powered from 11am through to midnight and beyond.
Some on 24/7.
We have been looking at heat guns for a while so maybe time to buy one.
Will post any positive results.
Regards

Sorry for the gap in following this up.
Reflowed the boards and had success with 2 --- have never done this before .. scarey !!
BUT went to use one of the reflowed boards a couple of days ago and got the same "no boot" problem -- so did another reflow and this time the board has booted reliably for the last 2 weeks from cold.
Thanks for all the help.
Regards

Really appreciate the follow up even with the gap (we are all busy). By following up as you have it really helps anyone else who may have similar problems and help give more credibility to the forum. I am glad that you found some success with the process and hope that you don't encounter any further problems. (y)

Back