Blue Screen "Cache Manager"

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
I have recently began experiencing Blue Screen errors with my windows 7 box. The message states that it is the Cache Manager causing the issue. I ran an extended diagnostic on both my HDD and my memory. My temps. are staying in the acceptable range and I can't find any other things that just jump out at me. I have not recently added any new hardware and after it began occurring I have even went back to a previous image that I had made, still the problem seems to persist. It has been random but I have been able to get it to happen almost every time I am running some sort of scan. So at this moment I am trying the exact same procedure only in safe mode. So far no errors.
This leads me to my first of what I am sure will be many questions, and hopefully it is easily answered. What is the best way to see exactly what drivers are loaded when the system is running? As I said, right now it is in safe mode and the scan just completed with no errors. This makes me think that it is possible a driver, although I do not know why now when that set-up worked fine in the past, and that if I can figure out what wasn't loaded maybe I can narrow it down. Thanks in advance.

Hi ferguj1

To see what drivers are running and loaded in normal running mode click Windows key + R, and copy and paste "MSINFO32.EXE".
Then select SOFTWARE ENVIROMENT.

This will tell you what is usually started in Safe Mode.

Some simple things I would try\check initially are,

I would check device manager is clean (I guess you have probably already done that)
If you have more than one stick of memory, I would take one out and see what result is, then try the other way round.
I would maybe try to install an alternative Graphics driver.
I would remove all hardware\devices possible that is not needed, PCI\VGA cards, extra memory etc if desktop, wireless and extra memory if laptop. Then try and put back in one at a time depending on results.

Cache Manager related BSODs usually refer to an insufficient amount of memory or RAM installed on the machine, or failing RAM and/or hard drive, bad device drivers or something starting up in Windows that is causing this. Also remove any USB devices you have attached to your system and see if that does anything. If that resolves the issue, then install the latest driver for that device and run Windows Updates.

I will see if I can condense this to something that makes sense and let you guys know where I am at with this issue. Using the Blue Screen tool that was expertly suggested, I was led to 2 issues. One was the Ntfs.sys driver, which I read could be from a failing HDD among other things.
As it stands right now, the only device plugged in is my KVM switch. All other USB devices have been removed, also my PCI IDE Controller card, as well as all of my ODD and HDD aside from my system drive. After all that I have been unable to duplicate the error. I haven't had time to start piecing it back together part by part yet to find the point of failure, but my preliminary ideas are as follows and you guys feel free to weigh in. Bad driver for my controller card or the on-board IDE controller or I guess even one of the SATA controllers. One of my other 3 HDD could be failing. Or a failing PSU, which when loaded with the other devices showed but not now. Anyway that is kind of my line of thought at the moment, right or wrong. Just didn't want you guys thinking I had forgotten ya. lol

Well from the sound of it you have the system stable for now Ferg? That in itself is a good starting point when dealing with what has to be one of the more nasty blue screen error problems.

As you get the time to reintroduce each item you should be able to nail it?

Might be no harm to run chkdsk on the drives you removed too?

When you recently restored your image, did you just write over or did you reformat first?

Were any other drives in the system at that point?

Could "System Tools" have left anything nasty on any of them?

As you get the time to reintroduce each item you should be able to nail it?
I hope so, at least that is the plan

When you recently restored your image, did you just write over or did you reformat first?
I reformatted prior to putting the image back

Were any other drives in the system at that point?
All other drives were present at that point.

Could "System Tools" have left anything nasty on any of them?
I don't think so. I had the error at least once prior to the infection. Also all drives were scanned with MalwareBytes and the only other drive I store any downloads on is Bitlocker Drive Encrypted and has not been unlocked since prior to the infection.

Hopefully so, the culprit is on the desk & not in the machine.

I'll leave you to it, I'm sure you'll report back when you kick ass (y)

-

Back