Boost Internet speed?

SeanL1l

I'm currently get about 4-5 mbps throughout the house but need to it faster. I live in a rural enough are and there's no signs of any fibre coming into my area. I have a standard enough router but feel I can upgrade it to make speed faster or even a mesh network. I want the faster speed throughout the house not just in one area. I have used tp link powerlines but they don't boost speed at all. Any help would be appreciated.

nothing will boost the incoming speed into your house.

who is your isp currently?

what is your speed connected direct to the router via an ethernet cable?

do you get a decent 4g signal form any of the major mobile providers in your area?

Last edited:
Only a mobile connection maybe another option to look into.Run a speed test on your phone.

I get 100mb/s fibre from virgin but only when standing next to the router, lucky to get a signal upstairs. I used to have power lines supplying my upstairs office but was only getting 30mb/s through that and it kept dropping out. I recently bought eero mesh wifi from amazon, it was pricy at £250 for 3 of them, but, I have one installed next to the router and one in the upstairs office where I never used to be able to get wifi signal I am now getting 106mb/s from the eero when wired to the computer and 80mb/s in the other rooms through wifi highly recommend. Introducing Amazon eero mesh Wi-Fi router/extender: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon Devices

10602157942.png

that's what I am getting right now a few months ago i was lucky to even connect to the router, usually get around 106mb/s but watching the football, kids streaming a movie, plus its peek hours

Only getting about 1 bar of coverage into the house but can get full bars outside it. . I feel as if though my Internet provider isn't giving me their best services as the WiFi aerial on the outside of the was installed about 15 years ago and they haven't gone near it since and the router they gave me is a very low spec model.

Only getting about 1 bar of coverage into the house but can get full bars outside it. . I feel as if though my Internet provider isn't giving me their best services as the WiFi aerial on the outside of the was installed about 15 years ago and they haven't gone near it since and the router they gave me is a very low spec model.
i'm giving up on this thread already :ROFLMAO:

Moving on...
That made no sense whatsoever.
Who is your ISP?

Have you done a speed test?

It's westnet.
Speed test is usually 4-5 mbps
As has been already stated you cannot increase that speed as that is the maximum coming into the house.
What is the availability of 4g or what speeds can others who live nearby get from mobile networks?

Live in Ireland so we have different providers to UK
Ireland has several ISPs offering Gigabit Broadband.
WestNet have signed agreement with SIRO for Gigabit Broadband: Find Out if Your Home is SIRO Ready - Siro.ie
How to check broadband availability in your area | Switcher.ie
In Dublin I was on VM Gigabit €50 month then switched to Vodafone Gigabit €25 for 6 months then €50.
https://www.libertyglobal.com/virgin-media-ireland-connects-1-million-homes-to-gigabit-broadband/
Gigabit Broadband from Vodafone
Ireland has adopted the EU Standard for Gigabit Broadband but may take time to roll out to all rural customers.
As UK has voted to leave EU most ISPs are unlikely to offer Gigabit Broadband anytime soon...

Back