Box recommendations

devnull10

Hi all,
Long time user of various tv techs (back to the old cable and wireless days with an inline decoder :)) but not had anything "additional" in a couple of years. New to IPTV, and was thinking of getting a Mag Box but thought I'd just check recommendations before making the jump...

Ideally I'd like something with the best "user experience"... EPG is a must, and would be great if it had skins to look similar to one of the big 2 providers. I'd really like to be able to record (ideally to an external HDD as I have a large capacity one spare). But obviously reliability is the most important factor of all.
I'm more than comfortable with Linux and the command line, so fine with anything that's a bit more"involved" setting up, but don't want to be having to constantly maintain/update if possible.

Don't really require it to do anything else (games/apps etc) and tbh not massively bothered about HD streaming (it would be a bonus rather than a neccesity). Ideally want to stay under £100. My original though was a Mag 256, but did anyone have any other suggestions based on the above before I get myself over of those?

-- edit --
If any have built in VPN capabilities, either native or by me configuring on Linux that would be better as I don't then need another router.

Thanks in advance :)

Zgemma h92s would be a good box can have sly look epg record function and lots of support on this forum mags have codec issues regarding vod

Firestick 4k, android box, formuler z8, nvidia shield are what you should check out although some are above your budget.

All those can have a vpn app put straight onto the device, I use digibit - £2 a month with no long subscription needed.

"Skin" will depend on what your provider offers, if youre dead set on the Sky look then state that when you've bought your device and post a request in the thread at the top of this board.

Ah right, I want aware of the Mag codec issues... So maybe that isn't suitable afterall. I'm not dead set on the skin, would just be a nice to have if possible that's all. The Nvidia Shield is more than what I wanted to pay really as given the relatively small amount of TV I watch, it's getting where it'd be cheaper to subscribe to VM etc for the year overall.

I'd probably go for the zgemma over firestick as I'd imagine them to be a bit more flexible and with ethernet support?
Also would the 92H run it? Just thinking that gives me the option to switch to a CS setup in future if required. I have both sly & VM feeds into the house already.

Also, what image would be required for a 92h box for IPTV? Does it run on stock firmware or will it require setting flashing?

I'm guessing I could use the box with either the sly or VM feed for Freeview on the zgemma box should there be any issues with the IPTV?

Last edited:
Also, what image would be required for a 92h box for IPTV? Does it run on stock firmware or will it require setting flashing?

I'm guessing I could use the box with either the sly or VM feed for Freeview on the zgemma box should there be any issues with the IPTV?

woosh infinity runs great on h9s. i love that build.

if you want something simple and easy then i would go for firestick. Plus its cheap at the min, £29.99 in argos

Not too bothered about it being "easy" to set up etc, more that I want it to be slick to use. I've used a firestick before and I wasn't keen on the remote, plus id rather have ethernet than WiFi because signal isn't great in our house. Would probably pay the extra 40 quid for the zgemma and have that extra flexibility I think?

Thanks @The-Guru, I presume I'd just flash the latest openATV image first?

Can confirm - Zgemma h92s is a great option. Running freesat and iptv with Willobuild and never looked back (y)

How does willobuild compare to whoosh infinity?
Only tried Whoosh for a short period of time a while back and had nothing but trouble with it Box crashing etc. I have used Grogbuild also, another great image with no issues. I have to say though that Willo has the edge for simplicity and zero problems.
Just my opinion though :smiley:

Only tried Whoosh for a short period of time a while back and had nothing but trouble with it Box crashing etc. I have used Grogbuild also, another great image with no issues. I have to say though that Willo has the edge for simplicity and zero problems.
Just my opinion though :smiley:
I've got one box on grogs no problems and got one on willo build no probs

OK so I got my box today - zgemma H2H. I've flashed OpenATV latest nightly and installed Whooshbuild. Setting up for Sat initially (though will use IPTV - I want Sat working as a backup), I went through all the prompts, but the tuning fails (Autobouquetmaker). However doing an auto scan works. Problem then is that it imports all the non-FTA channels, but more so, it's missing a load - BBC, ITV etc.

For what you are saying you would like the zgemma range are your best bet. Members often sell them in the for sale section for a good price. Or you could get a zgemma i55 for £49.00 from WOS, which will deal with your iptv needs and sky look etc.

For what you are saying you would like the zgemma range are your best bet. Members often sell them in the for sale section for a good price. Or you could get a zgemma i55 for £49.00 from WOS, which will deal with your iptv needs and sky look etc.

Thanks - I have purchased a H92H.

I've also found another annoying issue which I can't seem to get around - it's probably just me being stupid, but it's driving me crazy.

I am using Whoosh Infinity with the SlyQ skin, however when I switch into a bouquet (i.e. "UK FTA") I can't then get BACK to the bouquets list on the left - I have to exit the EPG and go back into it. I've tried "Back", "Prev" (which just navigates to the previous bouquet, not to the list) etc. Exit quits the EPG.

I've also found another annoying issue which I can't seem to get around - it's probably just me being stupid, but it's driving me crazy.

I am using Whoosh Infinity with the SlyQ skin, however when I switch into a bouquet (i.e. "UK FTA") I can't then get BACK to the bouquets list on the left - I have to exit the EPG and go back into it. I've tried "Back", "Prev" (which just navigates to the previous bouquet, not to the list) etc. Exit quits the EPG.
What did i say about whoosh lol, get either Willobuild or Grogbuild for a pain free experience (y)

Back