box would you recommend my budget £160 was looking at zgemma h2h but been put off

Atari2600

im looking at getting my first box prefer a twin tuner sat and cable, and was looking to buy the zgemma h2h but have been put off with the many comments i have read about the tuner being week and picture looking very pixelated. ( i am really fussy about my picture quality)
i would like a box that will give me an excellent picture quality and is pretty quick with the epg and loading ect. i want to be installing openvix onto it.

i do like the looks of the vu boxes but i dont require the box to have a tv screen in it! and also do like the looks of the mutant box but the price range is too much

what brand and model of box would you highly recommend for my budget £160 max i was looking at the following but i dont know much i am a total noob

amiko a3
wetec play
zgemma h2h

if you know any other good boxes out their please let me know.

many thanks

Technomate TM-Nano-SE Combo runs the same chipset as the H.2H and is a twin tuner Sat/Cable/FreeviewHD the Cable tuner is a panasonic branded one and is very sensitive i have had one of these myself and have had zero problems with it. It['s also officially supported by the Vix image so you can do daily software updates retails for around £119

vu solo 2 is £159 also if open vix is what you want you should stick to officially supported boxes which drops zgemma off your list

I would go for any officially supported combo box with the openvix image

New Edison combo box is £99, then you will have to pay for a sat line and a cable line.

Spec looks really good for the price, Technomate is the next cheapest

I would go for any officially supported combo box with the openvix image

New Edison combo box is £99, then you will have to pay for a sat line and a cable line.

Spec looks really good for the price, Technomate is the next cheapest

Bees, quick question, can you get these Edison boxes in white?

im liking the sound and spec of the vu solo 2 - looks pretty nice too.
plus vu majority have good reviews ?

whats the benefit of an official open vix image software ?

i hope and im guessing this is te same as red openvix image or the one that looks like sky ?

I would love to Know where the Solo2 is £159 for an official version, OP in the first post you say you want a Combo receiver Sat/Cable the Solo2 is dual sat and will cost another £49 for a USB cable tuner

ow - didn't know that freeuk

so that's £200 - im better off going for a mutant pay alittle more.

am I best to stick with a zgemma h1 then ?

does a brand of box make a difference to the picture quality ?

My mistake didn't realise you wanted combo, then vu zero will cost more with a cable tuner, but yes brand does make a difference if you don't want an officially supported box then go for zgemma but I had zgemma defore I upgraded to a vu duo 2 and I wouldn't go back yes you pay more but build quality and the whole package are far superior but at the end of the day you get what you pay for I would say hold off until you can afford to pay a bit more rather than buy now and regret it later.

I can understand and agree about build quality but can anyone else vouch for "you get better picture quality" depending on the brand of the box

I don't mind saving a little bit more and buying a different box, but if im spending like £200 for a box, for a dodgy box is a bit much - but if it does actually give me improved picture quality then I guess why not

i too have a vu+ duo 2 and it is a lovely box, I've not had any other so cant really say but it's very fast and picture is very good. plus once you put kodi on it you'll have loads to watch. you can even stream to an android or apple device via wifi using the vu+ app.
any reason why you're after a combo box?

all Linux Enigma2 receivers run a BCM (broadcom chipset) so pretty much all will display a picture the same, unless different manufacturers decide to add a little extra to there video driver's.

That's where buying from a good manufacturer is the difference zgemma are box builders once they have their design there's no driver updates

but if it does actually give me improved picture quality then I guess why not

I think you have got to think about it as a whole package and not just pick out
picture quality for instance.

Some cheaper boxes have weak tuners and the picture pixilates on some HD channels, but I think you won't have that issue
with any of the boxes mentioned.

Personally I look at it this way, if you want to run Openvix then I would buy an officially supported box.

You can update the box over the net, very convenient, and you get a 2 yr warranty and tried and trusted support.

You also pay a bit more than buying a Zgemma.

Zgemma as mentioned are not supported by Openvix so could this be an issue that's being ignored by Zgemma users ?

No updates over the net, it can brick to box, dependant on someone modifying the Vix image for updates.

This is the big question for me personally, how may problems are posted on the main forum board are Zgemma related.

Check it out for a few days, just look at the main board for a while then make a decision on what you want to buy.

ive only said open vix because thats whats on my dads zgemma h1 box -
the epg looks just like vm and says hd red in the top left corner, so im not even entiley sure if it is open vix that i am after ? - i do also like the sky look
its so easy to read and navigate hence why i said thats what i want

I think the OP is wondering most about "picture quality", I would also like to know if box has a huge effect on picture quality since my zgemma is pixelated.

Back