British Gas smart meter

They install there own mate
They didn't with me. Ours was first installed by eOn but I made the mistake of switching EDF for a year (piss up, brewery) and they said they'll just use the existing one. We're back with eON now who I will say have excellent customer service in my experience.

Just a bit of info for people. First, you don't have to have a smart meter installed. Every household in the UK will be offered one by 2020 but you can refuse if you want. Second, they work on the mobile phone signal to transmit data to your supplier, so the engineer will run a signal test to make sure yours is strong enough to be suitable. My signal at home is shite, so the engineer gave it three goes and on the third he said it's borderline but we'll go ahead. But it's apparaently below the borderline because they still knock on my door and ask for readings lol. Third, you'll get a little peripheral monitor, about the size of a mobile phone which you can keep plugged in in you living room or wherever. They give you all your usage details so you don't need to check the meters manually. They last about an hour on battery so need to be kept plugged in mostly.

Oh and a funny thing. If they're installing a gas meter, they should run a gas safety test on your property as part of the install. Gas fire lighting properly, gas cooker chained to wall safely, carbon monoxide readings check, etc. I think they even checked the colour of the flame in my gas oven lol.

I hope that helps those of you who have yet to switch. (y)

Back