Windows Vista BSOD when trying to convert videos.

Session9

VIP Member
Me again...another problem...

I keep trying to convert my AVI video files to DVD format, or MPG, and all I get is a blue screen about halfway through. At no other time, doing no other thing does this happen.

I've tried using ConvertXToDVD, Format Factory and WinAVI Converter.

They all do the same thing. It's driving me batty, my DVD player is retarded and won't play discs with AVI's on it properly, so I need to be able to convert them.

This is from BlueScreenView of the last three times I've tried. Please help mee!

bsvreport.jpg

It points towards dodgy RAM, as converting an avi to DVD puts great pressure on memory.

-

I am having the same trouble as Mooley is Session. But what I would ask is if you have checked your fans and made sure that your airflow is not restricted. May be that the inside of the case needs a good blowing out. Typically video converting requires a good amount of processor power and generates a lot of heat, which could lead to your BSOD. If none of these seem to be the culprit then you have to try and backup to when you think the problem started and what, if any, changes to your system you have made since then. It could also be a RAM problem. You will just have to start at the top and work your way through it. Keep us posted all alone the way and perhaps something will jump out at one of us that could help.

Thanks guys. Damn photobucket..

bsvreport-1.jpg

That should be better.

It's been doing it since a clean install. I haven't put anything on the computer that I haven't used in other computers and they've been fine.

Is there a sure way to test my RAM without going through bloody memtest things and pulling bits out of my PC?

What version of Blue Screen View are you using & where did you down it from?

Was it directly from NirSoft

Almost 100% sure it was from the nirsoft site, and it'd be the latest version, 1.20.
There a problem with it?

Thanks guys. Damn photobucket..

It's been doing it since a clean install. I haven't put anything on the computer that I haven't used in other computers and they've been fine.

Is there a sure way to test my RAM without going through bloody memtest things and pulling bits out of my PC?

Gman may know of something else, but the most sure fire method is to run one stick at a time, while trying to duplicate the error. There are various memtest applications out there, if you go that route I would recommend one that runs from boot in order to test the memory prior to it being reserved by the OS.

Almost 100% sure it was from the nirsoft site, and it'd be the latest version, 1.20.
There a problem with it?

No, not an issue if you got it from NirSoft. There are a few dodgy versions of it out there pretending to be legit but they're not.

I'd agree with ferg, one stick at a time is the best & quickest way to eliminate the memory from the puzzle. Memtest is way way too slow.

You mentioned a clean install?

Are all your drivers good? have you updated, changed or added any since your last known good condition?

Drivers are another blatant cause of BSOD

Me again...another problem...

It's driving me batty, my DVD player is retarded and won't play discs with AVI's on it properly, so I need to be able to convert them.

!
Do you have a DVD player capable of playing AVI(Divx), but having issues with playback? You might be able to "fix" the AVis without converting...

Like ferguj1 suggested, I would also monitor the CPU temp during conversion. I have had same problem way back when trying to convert to DVD, a broken fan was the culprit.
You say it happens half way through the conversion process, which means it starts okay, and then it builds up and fails. I honestly don't know how RAM related error manifest,if it would fail from the beginning of the conversion or it manifests progressively, the guys here can help you more with that, but that's how would work with temperature.
I steered a friend of mine in the right direction by having him keep the lappy on the window sill while running the conversion:), just to test a theory. Te lower temp helped.

Gman - looking at the Nirsoft site, that's definitely where I got it from.

And yep, clean install with Win 7. I did the same on my brothers computer and he's had no problems.
I doubt he'd even know how to convert videos though.
What kind of driver could it be? I was sure I made sure I had all the right/latest ones, and that they downloaded OK.

I'll take out one stick at a time and try to convert a video tonight, see how it goes, and get back to you guys tomorrow.

Edit: Cyprus - I'll monitor the temps when I try this out tonight as well, thanks :)

Last edited:
Well...
I took the second stick of RAM out, and was able to convert three videos without a problem. The temp stayed around a stable 35C according to BlackBox.

After that I took the first stick out, and put the second stick in it's place. Also converted three videos without a problem, stable temps.

I didn't try it with a stick in the second RAM holder, ran out of time. Could I possibly have a faulty holder thingy? And what's the right word for one of those? :dunno:

If it's working fine with either stick in the first dock, it can't be a driver, can it? This is bloody confusing.

RAM bay it's called (Well, that what I call it!) and might well be. I have that problem at the moment on my laptop. Running on 256mb for about 6 months on this one! lol Got all those BSOD's a while ago.
Windows 7 throws on generic drivers to set everything up initially so I would recommend checking what hardware you have on your machine and get up to date drivers from manufacturers website's in each case.

Will try updating drivers for everything this weekend.

axxxo this might sound stupid, but how do I know who my BIOS manufacturer is?
Same comp. that makes the CPU or are they two totally different things?

Ahh..thanks ferg, that's what I meant to say :whistling:
:grin:
Will do those this weekend and see what happens.

As a side note...I tried putting both sticks into the second bay and I still didn't get any BSODs. It seems to only do it with both sticks of RAM in there.

Back